Tajfun logging winch

/ Tajfun logging winch #1  

KRH

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5225 MFWD w Power Reverser; 2010 JD 110 tlb; 2007 JD 4520
Looking at a Tajfun EGV 45A logging winch. Looking for input from other Tajfun owners.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!!

/ Tajfun logging winch #2  
Don't have one, but checked them out in the past and they look very well thought out and I'd go for the remote option.

/ Tajfun logging winch
Thanks!!! The remote would be very handy!!!

/ Tajfun logging winch #4  
Thanks!!! The remote would be very handy!!!
I thought that myself, that was before I owned or really used a tractor logging winch.
I ended up building a hydraulic winch with a rotating graple for my mostly small 10" maximum firewood. Once I found out about snatch blocks and how frequently I'd be using one along with trimming the unwanted limbs, I'd say that if you're working alone, it's going to be much more than just "handy"👍

/ Tajfun logging winch #5  
You'd be surprised how difficult the seemingly simple task of spooling out 50-60' of cable in a straight line between your log and the tractor is in a heavily wooded area. It's just good practice to not scar the bark of every desirable tree in that distance and multiple snatch block hook up may be necessary. That's one trip (at least) back to the tractor with each set up. Then limbing, depending on the junk your leaving in the woods to go back to the soil, ideally I like to scatter it out. With a remote, you'll be able to trim a little then drag it a little, repeat, repeat. Every time would be another walk back to the tractor. 👍

/ Tajfun logging winch #6  
I have been using a Tajfun EGV 35 A for 9 years and am very happy with its performance.

/ Tajfun logging winch #7  
I just purchased the EGV 35A model today. It's laid down on a pallet on my atv trailer, and I don't see any lifting point to attach a chain to pick it up and stand it up. Any suggestions?
Patrick
Never mind.
I had some web tow strapping that I was able to use.
Thanks anyhow.

Last edited:
   / Tajfun logging winch #8  
Don't get so excited that you forget to take some pictures for us!
Congratulations 👍

/ Tajfun logging winch #9  
Will do.
What size choker chains do you use, and did you feed out the cable and tighten down with a heavy load before using?
Thanks,
Patrick

/ Tajfun logging winch #10  
I use 5/16 (yellow) choker chain, strong enough for my winch and logs.
On the initial wind up mounting the cable, I rolled it out so that it layed flat hooked on to a tree and pulled the tractor (up hill) . I suppose pulling in a log that was heavy enough would be the same. This was my first time also, it just made sense to me and I'd also like to hear from someone with more experience 👍