Tail wheel for Rear Blade: Any Tips?

/ Tail wheel for Rear Blade: Any Tips? #1  

FatTire

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740, Unimog 404 w/ snowblower, Deere 620i UTV, MX5100 (sold)
I just ordered a tail wheel for my Land Pride RBT blade. I have never used a tail wheel, not even once, on any type of implement. I assume you have to unhook your top-link when using the tail-wheel? I have some swoops (mild but noticeable) on a new part of our road I want to knock down and some rough spots I want to smooth out. Any tips on using this?

/ Tail wheel for Rear Blade: Any Tips? #2  
The tail wheel should ride behind the blade so that it sets the blade height to the smoothed area. Probably will take several passes to get satisfaction. I recommend angling the blade, too. This will allow the blade to cut the surface bumps better. Yes it will comb the material to one side. Just keep working it back and forth.

Best results at my place is from 2 gauge wheels, one on each side. Put a lot of weight on the blade or frame near the blade to force it to cut. Use a chain instead of a rigid top link. This allows the implement to do its job in spite of the tractor's up and down and pitching motions, but still allows you to raise it when its time to inspect your work by taking a break from the action near a refrigerator.

/ Tail wheel for Rear Blade: Any Tips?
The tail wheel should ride behind the blade so that it sets the blade height to the smoothed area. Probably will take several passes to get satisfaction. I recommend angling the blade, too. This will allow the blade to cut the surface bumps better. Yes it will comb the material to one side. Just keep working it back and forth.

Best results at my place is from 2 gauge wheels, one on each side. Put a lot of weight on the blade or frame near the blade to force it to cut. Use a chain instead of a rigid top link. This allows the implement to do its job in spite of the tractor's up and down and pitching motions, but still allows you to raise it when its time to inspect your work by taking a break from the action near a refrigerator.
Chain is a great idea, Thanks!