Tactor Winter Storage

/ Tactor Winter Storage #1  

Eric_Phillips

Platinum Member
Tractor
FarmTrac 270DTC
I got my first tractor this spring so this is the first winter it will go through. It will be stored outside and I probably will not need it during the winter. With this the first diesel I have owned I am not sure how I should prep it for a couple month storage. My gas engines I always ran the gas out of them, changed the oil and let them sit for the season. I probably wont hit the 50 hr maintenance before winter. Should I get the oil changed anyway? Should I just put in some fuel preservative and top up the tank? Any suggestions?

Eric

/ Tactor Winter Storage #2  
I suppose you're not expecting to use the tractor for plowing snow?

Fill the fuel tank and add a stabilizer. Run it for a bit to get the "stabilized" fuel through out the system.
If you're sure you won't be running the machine, it may be best to pull the battery and store in indoors.

I would not change the oil until the break in hours.

Cover the tractor with a tarp, but ensure there's breathing space so moisture can dissipate.

If the tractor is a gear machine, block the clutch pedal in the fully depressed position.

That's about it...but make sure you've no need to use it in the winter.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #3  
I've always done things just the opposite from what you do. I fill all my fuel tanks and put in some stabilizer in the fall. Never change the oil till spring. That gives me all winter to round up the oil and filters I need. Then I waste some nice spring day by changing oil in a half dozen vehicles /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif when I should be fishing. Like Roy said be sure to allow breathing room for a tarp or you will do more harm than good.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #4  
It's not good to change the oil until your 50 hours is up. Changing before does not allow everything to seat properly. I don't know how close your gettng but maybe do some extra stuff to get to your 50 hours before you park it. I am also a believer in changing oil in the spring. Oil does absorb moisture and that is not good. When you drain in the spring you would also get any moisture out also. Yes fill your tank but put some conditioner in and let it run a bit to get the conditioner in the injector system. Take the battery out and don't put it on a concrete floor. And trickle charge it every so often during the winter.

But I have to ask you again, Are you sure you could find some use for it in the winter?? Get a snowplow or blade to do your driveway. Even if it is cold these tractors are fun to run in the winter too.

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

murph

/ Tactor Winter Storage #5  
If you need a place to store it I'm a fan of the Cover-It or Shelter Logic buildings. You can get a 12 x 20 building for about $300 and it's money well spent. I'm on my 4th winter with mine and they do a good job keeping stuff off of them year round.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #6  
I live 20 mi. south of Buffalo but my daughter lives in Rochester and i know you get a lot snow as we do, are you not doing to use it for snow removal?

/ Tactor Winter Storage
Thanks for the information. It sounds like I was on the right track. The only use I will have for the tractor this winter is if I can convince one of the horse barns nearby to drop off manure so I can add some organic material to the sandbox around my house before planing more grass in the spring. The easiest place to have them dump is at the end of the driveway where the plow dumps all the snow from the private drive so I might need to move the snow pile. I have a 30" 10HP snow blower that takes about 20-30 minutes to clear the driveway. This year with no cars parked in the driveway I should knock off another 5-10 minutes. The 20-30 minutes is nothing compared to the the driveway I had in the city that took 60-90 minutes with the same snowblower.

Thanks,
Eric

/ Tactor Winter Storage #8  
Winter is one of the best times to do some brush hogging -- provided there's little to no snow on the ground. Less folliage, less heat, less dust, less mud. Its the best time to go after those troublesome areas (e.g. soft spots and fence rows) you never seem to get to.

/ Tactor Winter Storage #10  
Outside winter storage in the Northeast is fairly vicious.
In addition to all the good info already posted...
Keeping the tank full of stabilized fuel is important.
You should be prepared for mice and the damage they leave.
The battery should be stored in a clean dry area and trickeled once a month.
The cover will abrade whatever it contacts, paint included, so maybe tape some chunks of foam onto the high spots where the tarp will rub. Make sure the cover will breath or moisture will accumulate and puddle.
I, personally would fog the valvetrain, pull the glowplugs and oil the bores and tape up the exhaust.
If you can it would be good to block the axel's off the ground and once a week turn the wheels by hand to keep the rust off the seals.
Make sure the vents are not in the path of dripping water.
Smear a decent coat of grease on any exposed cylinder rods, including the steering rack.
Attach a penguin float because if this rain keeps up you may need to locate your submerged tractor to use as anchorage. There is an old man with a long beard muttering something about cubits and gathering wood in my driveway.

Maybe a bit of overkill but you did ask for opinions and like the saying goes, everybody has one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All the best,
Martin