t700 engine question

/ t700 engine question #1  

thomascw

Bronze Member
I posted this in Montana section as well(actual tractor was Montana 7074). Looked at new tractor today,looking to replace my open Kubota L4200 with a cab tractor. The price on this model is almost too good to pass up. The fit and finish appeared to be nice. The ENGINE however, seemed really loud(even with the cab closed). Also it didn't seem nearly as smooth running(more vibration) as my 4 cylinder. (especially at lower rpms) Is this typical for this motor. I also looked at an open cab 58hp tractor(I think)with the 4cylinder mitsubishi and it seemed more like my Kubota in regards to smoothness and sound level. The dealer didn't have any smaller cab tractors on hand, but said they'd be within 2 thousand dollars of this one. If these john deere motors are all loud , with a little vibration at low rpm I guess I could still wear my headphones off my kubota and still have heat and air. I just don't want to start off with a bad motor. Sorry for the long-winded post.

Tom

/ t700 engine question #2  
hi
i just wanted to say i have the tym version and although i would not say the cab is like being inside a car i do not find mine so loud i would wear headphones or ear plugs. i do use the stereo it came with and again louder than a automobile but easily listen to the equiped stereo

/ t700 engine question #3  
Hello, I have driven both the TYM T603 and the T700. The T700 isnt bad but it is quieter in the T603's cab. I think one reason is the exhaust in the 603 doesnt come near the cab.

/ t700 engine question
Thanks pete-mi and my tym. I'd really like to test the 603 but the closest dealer with one is 2 hours away. btw I called the local john deere shop and talked to a fellow in the service department. He said the 3029 was a good engine, he did say 4-5 years ago they had problems with the connecting rods breaking but this problem had been addressed. He said the older blocks were painted black and the newer ones were jd green. I didn't look at the engine on the montana, are the new tyms engine blocks green or black?

/ t700 engine question #5  
i think j d might just be doing that with their engines on their own tractors . my engine is black it also could be repainted by tym i did not know of the earlier problems. but because you can see the engine block from the sides i think it would look funny seeing a green engine block combined with the red casing.

/ t700 engine question
mytym, you're right, I thought about that right after I posted. I called a tym dealer about 130 miles from me. he has a 603cab and a t 700 in stock. The 603 has a powereverser. I may drive it wednesday if the boss doesn't have home work for me. This particular dealer has been in the tractor business about 20 yrs. He said that the john deere engine was fine. Without prompting from me,he did mention that some people complained that they were loud. He also said they were thirsty. Fuel consumption would not be a biggee for me as i've only averaged about 50 hours a year on my current tractor. I think I would mow my pasture more often with a cab tractor tho, at least that's what I'm telling my wife. Mytym have you noticed high fuel consumption?

Tom

/ t700 engine question #7  
Hi Tom
the exhaust is on the left front of the cab on my tractor and i know it is mounted lower and to the side on the 603. i guess it just doesnt bother me. i did have the chance to test drive both and i liked both,but i liked the more traditional look of the t700 and at the time like anything when we buy our toys i mean equipment i bought the biggest i could so i would never have to wonder if i should have. also i got 5 years interest free payments. and i always tell my wife if i bought a smaller tractor i could not have done some of the jobs i have without it. as far as fuel use i do not find it as a big user it has a large tank that i have filled only 5 or 6 times and not from empty in my 200+ hours of use. i do love this tractor and so do all my neighbors. (they just give me crap when they see me ride to the mail box some days)

/ t700 engine question #8  
mytym, you're right, I thought about that right after I posted. I called a tym dealer about 130 miles from me. he has a 603cab and a t 700 in stock. The 603 has a powereverser. I may drive it wednesday if the boss doesn't have home work for me. This particular dealer has been in the tractor business about 20 yrs. He said that the john deere engine was fine. Without prompting from me,he did mention that some people complained that they were loud. He also said they were thirsty. Fuel consumption would not be a biggee for me as i've only averaged about 50 hours a year on my current tractor. I think I would mow my pasture more often with a cab tractor tho, at least that's what I'm telling my wife. Mytym have you noticed high fuel consumption?

Tom

I've never heard of JD being praised for fuel economy like Perkins, but this engine does OK. Somewhere in the 3.5 gal per hour range is my estimate when working it mowing hay on a 9' Krone mower. That is basically just an estimate though.

/ t700 engine question #9  
hey i know this is old but i was away. i know my tractor does not use 3.5 gallons per hour that is a lot. i have a backhoe i use a lot and bush hog 7 acres, and road grade along with what ever my neighbors need me to do. thats running a c also but i have to say my tractor with just over 200 enjoyable hours ( i meant hard working hours) is not a fuel hog!!!