Oil & Fuel t-post knocked oil filter off ?

/ t-post knocked oil filter off ? #1  

pabo10

Tractor
n/a
A guy i know was taking down a barbed wire fence with his ym2200. a t- post caught the oil filter pulling it off of the filter base. he put a new filter on it, re-filled with oil, then continued to work the tractor. while trying to go up a slope the engine died. he restarted it & continued up the slope about 40 feet, then it died again. that is where he parked it. my question is this, I think the low oil sensor caused he engine to stop, do you guys think the engine was damaged by restarting & driving the last 40 ft. or so? I'm thinking about buying this tractor & was wanting some input from people more knowledgeable about these engines. I also would appreciate some input about the value of this tractor & parts availablity. thanks for all replys!

/ t-post knocked oil filter off ? #2  
Welcome to the forum. Has this guy tried running it since this happened? There has got to be some reason if he hasn't ,just makes you wonder. Personally I would have to run it a while before I payed any cash out. Good luck .

/ t-post knocked oil filter off ? #3  
The oil sensor didn't have anything to do with the tractor shutting down. I could only guess what has actually happened to the engine. Did the oil light stay off after the filter replacement? Parts are not quite as available for this tractor as some other models according to Hoye. Yanmar Tractor models to avoid

/ t-post knocked oil filter off ?
The oil sensor didn't have anything to do with the tractor shutting down. I could only guess what has actually happened to the engine. Did the oil light stay off after the filter replacement? Parts are not quite as available for this tractor as some other models according to Hoye. Yanmar Tractor models to avoid

doesn't this engine have a low oil pressure shut off switch? if not I would think it would have been knocking really loud before it died. he said he wasn't sure he put the proper amount of oil in it. I havn't looked at it yet. I'm going to go look later today to see what might all be wrong with it. thanks for your replies.

/ t-post knocked oil filter off ? #5  
It has an "oil pressure sensor". The sensor DOES NOT shut the tractor off if there is NO or LOW oil pressure. These are very simple machines. The sensor just triggers a light to turn ON on the dash if the pressure is below a certain point, that is all. If he indeed did catch it within a few seconds of happening there is no problem that would be related to this event. There is another underlying problem, like the replacement of the fuel filter and not getting all the air out of the system. The only damage he could have caused is more wear than necessary in that few seconds or it would be knocking very badly. I think the motor would be fine for easy 30 seconds from the oil film on the surfaces with zero pressure. A new filter and as long as he had some oil to cover the pickup tube will not cause this problem.

He has some fuel related problem or compression problem in my opinion.

/ t-post knocked oil filter off ? #6  
What Winston, Stingray, and Clemson said. These are very simple tractors. There isn't a low oil pressure sensor; there's nothing more than an oil pressure yes/no switch that drives the dashboard idiot light. Same as an automobile, in fact it uses the same sensor and circuit design.

That's a two cylinder model, right? Yanmar's twins are famous for loud fuel knock so I'm not sure you could distinguish bearing knock from the harmless fuel knock. This deserves careful checking before deciding to buy it.

This is an early model and was on old 'avoid' lists because few were here and there was little support. But parts availability has improved in recent years as more were brought over. Posters have have discussed rebuilding them. I suggest check for the specific parts you might need. I think you may find everything is now available.

I doubt it is seized up. Likely the hard starting / won't run is something simple and unrelated to the oil filter issue.

For me, I would probably check everything very thoroughly then end up buying it.