Swivels

/ Swivels #11  
The cylinders that operate the lids are on the other ends of the hoses, and they pivot open and closed which would twist the hoses. And the hoses from the tractor into the tees also pivots the tees as you dump and curl the grapple. The tees fit into brackets on the grapple that let them pivot. Without that the hoses would have to bend more although since the hoses to the tractor are 4' long that's less of a concern than the short hoses to the lid cylinders. Other than the swivel failing, it's a good solution.

I've been assuming that since hydraulic parts companies make live swivels for situations where the hoses have to swivel or twist, that these swivels are not sufficient. It may be that their seals being small just wear out faster. Or maybe the way I ran the hoses make them swivel more than expected. If you look at my pic the swivel on the upper right is the one that failed, and you can see that there is more of the internal pipe part visible than with the others. Maybe that's because the seals are worn?

Anyhow, I got a new one made today and I will try it out after the sealant cures. If another one goes I'll bite the bullet and get live swivels. The grapple's just too useful a tool.

I’m curious how yours is set up. I have an ANBO grapple which moves quite a bit which requires long hoses. I built a flexible hose guide to keep the hoses from getting into the wrong places. I’ve never seen a “live” flexible connection anywhere and I’ve been around hydraulics for quite some time.

/ Swivels #12  
Do the Tees swivel within the mounting brackets? If they do, that might be causing the upper hose connector to loosen.

/ Swivels #13  
From what you've described, they're just regular dead swivels used to prevent twisting during hose installation. If you're considering upgrading to real live swivels, it may be worth looking into those specifically designed for drilling rigs. A swivel in drilling rig is a critical component that allows for the transfer of fluids and gases between the rig and the wellbore, and they must be able to withstand high pressures and continuous rotation.
It's good that you're getting a new hose made to continue using the grapple, but if you plan to use it for heavy-duty work, it may be wise to invest in swivels that are up to the task. However, if you're only using the grapple occasionally, the dead swivels may suffice for the time being. Good luck!

Last edited:
   / Swivels #15  
This link acted funny just search full time swivel.

/ Swivels
I used a regular dead swivel because it was easy to get (I had a hose made) and fit the bracket on the grapple.
It's been working ok.

/ Swivels #17  
I watched the EA video to see a bigger pic of whats going on and I really dont see an issue with how they have it designed.

It looks like the TEE as a whole is allowed to rotate a little to account for opening and closing of the lids as well as curl and dump.

But without seeing YOUR setup and what YOU are concerned about and/or failure you are having....it is hard to advise