Sweet Peach

/ Sweet Peach #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
When I was 11 yrs old, i'd just finished a peach and then buried the pit about a foot underground. A couple years later it grew into a "peachling". I planted it in my fathers yard and when i was 26, moved it to my present location after my parents died and my sister did not want the tree. It stood here for another 12 years and then it died. To this day I have yet to taste a peach as sweet as that one. Nothing from the super market or local orchards for that matter can compare. If anyone is familiar with the names of peaches, what is the sweetest peach you ever ate because I need to buy that tree.

/ Sweet Peach #2  
Years ago, my Mom would buy a couple of bushels of Red Haven peaches from an orchard along the southern shore of Lake Erie. We would eat fresh peaches, peach cobbler, peach pie, peaches on vanilla ice cream, and she canned them in quart jars for the winter.

Of course they were fresh picked and tree ripened to a tee, something we certainly can't get in stores around here.

I miss those peaches. :) So, I know what you mean.

/ Sweet Peach #3  
When I was 11 yrs old, i'd just finished a peach and then buried the pit about a foot underground. A couple years later it grew into a "peachling". I planted it in my fathers yard and when i was 26, moved it to my present location after my parents died and my sister did not want the tree. It stood here for another 12 years and then it died. To this day I have yet to taste a peach as sweet as that one. Nothing from the super market or local orchards for that matter can compare. If anyone is familiar with the names of peaches, what is the sweetest peach you ever ate because I need to buy that tree.

Belle of Georgia is a mighty sweat peach.

/ Sweet Peach #4  
My grandfather had an orchard of Elberta peaches, I remember them as being pretty sweet.
However, if you planted your peach from a seed it is pretty likely that it was a pretty unique tree as I think most are hybridized and won't grow "true" from a seed.

/ Sweet Peach
My grandfather had an orchard of Elberta peaches, I remember them as being pretty sweet.
However, if you planted your peach from a seed it is pretty likely that it was a pretty unique tree as I think most are hybridized and won't grow "true" from a seed.

I planted that pit about 55 years ago. Don't know if they were doing that then. All I know is I have never tasted a peach so sweet and is why I buried the pit hoping it would turn into the same tree. It did and now I'm trying to match it. It must be somewhere or at least a variant. It was like tasting a candied apple that turned into a peach.

/ Sweet Peach #6  
Arrow, ye're suffering from what I call "Hey, everything was better way back..." Syndrome. Problem is, ye were so hungry, everything tasted better. Ye memory is shot, that's all. Ye'll never find anther peach as sweet as those ye had when ye were a tike.

Now, being a native Georgian, and knowing me peaches (at least in me,haid) to me clings are sweeter than free stones. If ye're ever near middle Georgia, stop at Lane's near Warner Robins, and eat, eat, I tell ye, a heap of peach ice cram. I can testify that eating too much peach ice cream will not harm a human being.

/ Sweet Peach
Arrow, ye're suffering from what I call "Hey, everything was better way back..." Syndrome. Problem is, ye were so hungry, everything tasted better. Ye memory is shot, that's all. Ye'll never find anther peach as sweet as those ye had when ye were a tike.

Now, being a native Georgian, and knowing me peaches (at least in me,haid) to me clings are sweeter than free stones. If ye're ever near middle Georgia, stop at Lane's near Warner Robins, and eat, eat, I tell ye, a heap of peach ice cram. I can testify that eating too much peach ice cream will not harm a human being.

Give me a variety Mac a variety. Cling and free pit doesn't narrow it down enough. I've got room in the orchard for two more trees. Red Haven, Elberta, Belle of Georgia were suggested, what's the other?

/ Sweet Peach #8  
I know, arrow, but ye'll just have to research on ye varieties to get what ye like best. I'm just giving my opinion in general about clings and free stones. I can't remember but there's a variety that usually ripens in southeast GA in June, really delicious! A small cling peach. This year with such a rainy spring and summer in GA, peaches haven't been as sweet. They will taste different every year.

Here's some, and time they ripen in middle GA:

Flavorich May 15-25
Sunbrite May 18-25
Springprince May 18-25
Carored May 16-26
Goldprince May 20- June 1

/ Sweet Peach
I know, arrow, but ye'll just have to research on ye varieties to get what ye like best. I'm just giving my opinion in general about clings and free stones. I can't remember but there's a variety that usually ripens in southeast GA in June, really delicious! A small cling peach. This year with such a rainy spring and summer in GA, peaches haven't been as sweet. They will taste different every year.

Here's some, and time they ripen in middle GA:

Flavorich May 15-25
Sunbrite May 18-25
Springprince May 18-25
Carored May 16-26
Goldprince May 20- June 1

Ok mac Thanks. I hate doing research and rely on the experience of others. Since store bought peaches taste incredibly awful to me, you've got me wondering just what variety is shipped to markets from commercial growers. It seems they steer in the direction of what travels best as opposed to what tastes best.

/ Sweet Peach #10  
We planted a peach tree I think 2 years ago. This is the first year we got any peaches on it. It had 3 on it last Saturday, unfortunately when we went to pick them we could only find 1. Man, that was a great peach. Super Sweet and juicy. My wife cut it up and we split it with our oldest daughter. Man, that was the best peach any of us has ever had. I believe it is a Belle of Georgia. It is self-pollinating.