SwagLok Fittings

/ SwagLok Fittings #1  

jigs_n_fixtures

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T233
I have some 3/8 SwageLok tubing fittings. I need 10-mm fittings. Can I just swap the 10-mm ferrules into the 3/8 fittings to convert them? The difference in the OD of the tubing is 0.0187-inches.

Why do I want to do this? There are 10-mm ferrules on eBay for about $2.00 per set, versus $20 to $30 per fitting for 10-mm fitting.

The idea occurred to me because the SwageLok tube bender I have is the same tool for the 3/8 and the 10-mm.

/ SwagLok Fittings #2  
I have some 3/8 SwageLok tubing fittings. I need 10-mm fittings. Can I just swap the 10-mm ferrules into the 3/8 fittings to convert them? The difference in the OD of the tubing is 0.0187-inches.

Why do I want to do this? There are 10-mm ferrules on eBay for about $2.00 per set, versus $20 to $30 per fitting for 10-mm fitting.

The idea occurred to me because the SwageLok tube bender I have is the same tool for the 3/8 and the 10-mm.
My “guess” is no……

But it’s only a guess and you can experiment if you want to take a chance on losing a lot of oil and making a mess

/ SwagLok Fittings
Good point. Guess I should buy a few sets of ferrules, and hook up one of the fittings, and pressurize it with a hand pump, before I try it on the actual tractor.

/ SwagLok Fittings #4  
Did you look them up on Swagelok's website? Check part numbers and see if they are the same. I am also guessing no, but perhaps they are close enough that it works...

/ SwagLok Fittings #5  
If the fittings are under pressure it probably will not work.

/ SwagLok Fittings #6  
I would buy some of the 10mm sleeves and measure the OD profile vs 3/8 sleeve. If profile is the same they should work.

/ SwagLok Fittings #7  
It will be an interesting experiment. I've used thousands of Swaglok fittings with the 2 piece ferrules in the past
their tolerances are quite small I'd be surprised if they fit and work. With all the copies out now would it be easier to buy the 10mm fittings?
For $7 a complete SS copycat.
1699195039004.png

/ SwagLok Fittings #8  
Obviously, 3/8" and 10 mm are not the same size. I have installed literally thousands of SwageLok fittings in my years working in power plants and I have never heard of doing this. I know the most recent version of ferrules has a shoulder in them that must be there for proper compression and lock. A straight angle ferrule will not work with them. It may work but it could very well blow out on you when you really don't want it to. Someone could get injured.

/ SwagLok Fittings #9  
I could tell you some superheated steam pressure stories that would make you cringe. And those pressures are roughly the same as our hydraulic pressures.

/ SwagLok Fittings #10  
Obviously, 3/8" and 10 mm are not the same size.......... Someone could get injured.
bingo. more than 5% difference in size is a lot when we talking about high pressures.