SUV tire chains

/ SUV tire chains #1  

beenthere

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD_4x2_Gator, JD_4300, JD_425, JD_455 AWS, added JD_455, JD_110, JD_X485(sold)
Looking for some help from anyone who has experienced the 'diamond' style tire chain
diamond installation

I am planning to be in the Rockies this winter and looking for tirechains to take along, and these looked like they would be good for road travel if needed, as well as fairly easy to put on.

Any comments would be welcome. I have past experience putting on regular ladder-chain tire chains, but was intrigued by these from tirechain.com and would appreciate experience from those who have it with this company. Thanks

/ SUV tire chains #2  
No experience with that style chain. I have put ladder style cable "chains" on a SUV before.

If the installation of the diamond chains is 50% as easy as it looks on the web, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I purchased tire chains for my tractor from tirechain.com - quick shipping & good prices. I got the duo grip . A bit of a rough ride, but awsome traction.

I was planning to add some cross links to smooth out the ride, but I just paved the drive, so I might bench them this winter (unless conditions warrant them).

/ SUV tire chains #3  
Just my opinion, but under the conditions you'll need them, no chain is easy to mount and dismount. They're a royal pain!

I don't suppose you're near to needing new tires right now..? It would be awfully convenient if you could just get some decent tires with the severe weather rating.

A few years back my wife and I were driving back home from Boston in the middle of a blizzard. The MA state troopers were directing everyone off the Interstate. When we got to the road block he noticed our Vermont plates and snow tires...and waved us past the barrier. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif We got home with no trouble at all.

Pete

/ SUV tire chains #4  
Stephen, I have yet to see any diamond style on vehicles or trucks in my neck of the country. The various plows and graders (thats the snow plow used for much of the back streets) for the most part use diamond style chains. Out here chains are often mandatory over the Donner (I-80 near Lake Tahoe) and other summits for 2WD vehicles and rarely but sometimes for 4WD. There are many new styles from automatic chains to a style that gets a hub mounted to the lugs (hub cap stays off in winter) and looks much like a spider wrapping the drive wheels. Apparently installation is very easy and the traction is decent. I realize that in many much colder parts of the country they don't use chains, but most have no where near the altitude gains thus altitude losses like the Sierras or Rockies. I becomes essential to have chains especially for semi trucks as without them, they will not be moving up the hill and they are sliding down the hills, not a happy event.

Heres one style of "instant chain"

/ SUV tire chains #5  
Donner Pass. For some reason I've always wanted to open a restaurant there with a theme something like "Adventures in dining out!"

Pete

/ SUV tire chains #7  
LOL @ boondox & PETE;

anyhow been to colorado in winter a couple times, both times I needed chains, ruint a brand new set of eagal gt +4's on my old cougar back in the day. had to put them on as pulling a trailer with a sport car with a light rear end didn't work to go up too well. use only when required is all I can say. I went up & over I70 back then with them on.

the diamond ones I heard good things about on the tv a while back. never used them though.

Mark M

/ SUV tire chains
I am finding out that 4wd SUV's with winter mud and snow tires are okay when "chains are required" in the mountains, but that some severe conditions can exist that chains still have to be available and in the vehicle.

My '02 Trailblazer manual said "No chains" on this vehicle. A dilema to be reckoned with, in the near future.

/ SUV tire chains #9  
I've no experience with the diamond pattern chains, just the ladder style. I have studded snow tires on all my vehicles for winter use, including my front wheel drive car. It makes an awesome difference compared to "all season" tires. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt changing them off and on in the spring and fall, but they do work on ice (what we suffer the most of in the northeast). I carry chains for my 2WD pickup truck, as that is easily the worst of my vehicles in ice and snow. I've gotten so that I can install them at night in under 10 minutes, just like playing the piano. it takes practice.