Super Noobie Welding Questions

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
The warm weather is coming and I have a few welding/fabrication projects that I'd like to tackle. but I haven't done any welding in about 15 years, and at that, nothing good. I posted about buying a welder beofer but for this year, I will just borrow my fathers equipment unitl I get the hang of it. So I have a bunch of questions:

1) My father has an old Hobart Stick welder, that is diesel powered and mounted on a trailer. It is very old and I know nothing about it other than it ran last year and apparently welded just fine. I'll get a battery for it, fresh fuel, oil and filters and get it running. The leads look very rough. The insulation on the ground lead is cracked, split and in some spots completely missing. The positive lead is in fairly good shape, but there is a few taped up sections. Time for leads? These things are about 50+ ft long and very thick copper cable. Would probably cost a fortune to replace. Should I replace them? Is it dangerous like that?

2) I have to repair a section of frame on my dumptruck. I'll have a certified (hired) welder do this, as I want it done right. But I need to fabricate a patch plate. I have a peice of steel for it that I need to cut (its the right width, but not length) and I need to bend it to fit the frame profile. I think I'd like to buy a set of torches and rent the tanks. Can I get a a whole set-up for around $300 out of pocket from a welding shop? Can I transport the tanks in the back of my pickup, strapped down to the bed? I know they need to be operated upright, but would laying them down during transport damage them?

3) I have some scrap steel to practice on first. I want to grab about 5 lbs of 6011 to practice with, but what size should I get? The steel is the flange of an old beam and is about 1/2" thick.

4) I just recently bought a new electronic auto-shade welding mask, new leather welding gloves and have a long sleeve cotton shirt and jeans. Also have a big fire extinguisher at hand. Is there anything else I need?

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions #2  
Sounds like you got it covered all but for 3 things
1. you need some ear plugs to keep the Dingle berries out of your ear drums.
2. you need a hat. I don't know how many little round scars i have on the top of my head from hot slag jumping up there and sticking.
3. you need a pair of boots that you can pull your pants leg out and around. low tops are no good. you can't get any shoe off fast enough when you got a hot piece of slag rolling around in your shoe!

Now go burn some rod!! and have fun!:thumbsup: You might want to get a leather sleve for your off arm also!

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions #3  
I do weld machine repair and sales. The leads are likely ok. Use electrical tape on the exposed areas of the electrode holder cable if necessary. Dont worry about the ground.
Cable is now 2-4 bucks a foot depending on size. If your fuel gas is acetalene then for every hour the tank is laying down it should be upright for the same amount of time before cutting. Propane doesn't matter. Tanks are now around $200 each. Med size. and a cutting kit is about $200 and up. See if you can rent the tanks.

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions #4  
I would say the new leads are going to set you back by about $130-180 or in that neighborhood if you decide to get new ones. However that welder sounds like a good old machine that is worth some investment. May be you could talk your father into "storing it" at your house.

I was told at the LWS that the Ox/Ac tanks can be transported laying down, BUT. The Acetylene tank has to be upright (and secured) at least an hour before hooking up the lines. I don't know about the prices because I was lucky to be able to borrow a friend's setup and refilled the tanks before I returned them to him.
Edit: I didn't know about the hour-for-hour rule that LWalsh mentioned. The guy at the shop told me to leave the tank upright for at least an hour after I get it home. But It was only a 20 min drive from the shop.

If you are welding 3/16-and up material I would say buy a 5lbs box of 1/8" 6011 and some 6013 will serve you well. The 6013 will be quite a bit easier to weld with but needs a cleaner surface and has less penetration. You can weld 1/8 thick steel with these but it will take a bit more care not to burn through all the time.
Learning how to weld is like $ in the bank.
Have fun.

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions
Moored - I'll get a cap and earplugs. Got an old set of work boots, perfect for this work. Thanks!

Lwalsh - Thanks for the tips! I'll be probably using acetylene, so I'll follow the 1 to 1 rule. I'll look over the leads really well and tape up the electro one if there are any breaks. If I end up using it a lot, I may replace them.

Is it $200 to fill a medium cylinder? And rental charges would be tacked on? Or is that the cost to buy one? I think I'd rather rent so that I don't have to be responsible for testing and the history of the cylinders. Just pick up full ones and drop off empty.

Easy - Thanks for the recommendations! I'll try laying a bead witht he 6013 first. My practice steel is some thick stuff, but the reapirs aren't as thick. I'll probably practice with 1/8" 6011 & 6013 and then try a few beads with 3/32 6011 and 7018. I think I'll try getting 2 lbs of each (8 lbs total) for now, burn through them while practicing and then try repairing my beat up bush hog deck.

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions #6  
Acetylene upright for an hour at least. My welding book and instructor both highly suggest 4 hours. Have fun and be safe.

/ Super Noobie Welding Questions #7  
Tanks must be transported up right chained with cap to protect the valve, see DOT and state regs.