Sunday mashed 'o' ring opinion..(pitless adapter)

/ Sunday mashed 'o' ring opinion..(pitless adapter) #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Hello all. Ive been having some troubles with my well ,mainly the pitless adapter seating.(o ring).
Thes pictures show what I have now. the newer adapters ive seen online and also in the store seem to have an 'unsquashed 'o' ring.
Ive read a few reports of one of the box stores not being of much good. And when I looked at one yesterday I could see that the o ring was broken (new box).:confused2:
At any rate I have one ordered from another place and hope to get it on wednesday.But Ive had a difficult time to excavate enough to have wiggle room on the outside of the casing, So Im hoping the new one when it arrives is of the same dementions and ill just replace the inside part.
Id like to just dig into this o ring right now and see what happens but dont want to mess up the water for a week .:laughing:
So my question is ,has anyone seen if these o rings mush out like this ? This was installed in 1980.So Im thinking over the years its rocked back and forth a few times.Its mushed so much you can hardly see the inner side seal seat (metal).

And and all opinions would be great. Ill enclose a pic of the ones ive seen in the store also. Thanks. 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
Here are the web pics for comparision
jrs10oring-11937-xl.jpgSPcombo5.jpgss-pitless-adapter-parts.gifthumbnail.jpg

/ Sunday mashed 'o' ring opinion..(pitless adapter) #2  
Don'tknow a lot about well pumps and pitless adapters, but I have taken apart equipment with o-ring seals that have not been apart in many years and I would say its not uncommon in the ones I've seen for the o-rin to be permanately deformed to where it is flat on the mating side. Need a new o-ring going abck together that's for sure, and since this is potable water some food grade silicone grease (plumbers grease) to lube the o-ring would be good.

/ Sunday mashed 'o' ring opinion..(pitless adapter)
Thanks for the reply.I got the new one today.and the gasket is definetly an o ring. now if I mess up the old one or find it to be a flat one then i wont be without water.Im hoping it is deformed then I can get another o ring and have a spare.

/ Sunday mashed 'o' ring opinion..(pitless adapter)
update. it was a flat leather gasket and not an O ring. so glad I replaced the who thing....