Suggestions welcomed for a Gravely tractor.

/ Suggestions welcomed for a Gravely tractor. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I have a Gravely lawn tractor 816T. A 1978 model I believe, that I have used only for plowing snow for the last twenty years. By plowing I mean snow blowing, it has a snow blower attached to the front. A coupe of mild winters it did not even run. So as you can see it has few hours on it for it's age. This past winter I got it out to do some plowing and shortly into the plowing I noticed it was not throwing the snow like it should. To make a long story short I have narrowed it down to the PTO clutches going bad. After talking to the Gravely dealer it seems that to replace these clutches it's a major job. Cases have to be split and the parts, he said, will run about $800 to $1,000. I don't think I'm going to put the money or time into fixing it. So I'm asking you,,,, what would be the best way to get the best price for it? Look for someone that's handy that would want to try and fix it? Advertise it in a farm magazine for parts? Sell it to the dealer for parts? It has an Onan engine on it that runs real good, chains on the rear tires, new tires on the front, the snow blower that is in great shape and the mower deck that I never used. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. RRM

/ Suggestions welcomed for a Gravely tractor. #2  
I'd put it on Craigslist. Do the seller a favor and let them know of the diagnosis. You'll probably only get a few hundred for it from some Gravely aficionado. I see Gravely riders listed around here for anywhere from $350 - $2000. Most of them have mowing decks, so if you only have the snow blower you're going to limit your market.

Have you contacted Richard's Gravely in West Virginia? They might be able to give you some good advice and better prices than your local dealer.

Those Gravely's are great machines! I've had walk behinds since the early 80's. If you fix it, you won't have to worry about it for years!!

/ Suggestions welcomed for a Gravely tractor.
Thanks Mark02tj, if you noticed in my post it does have a mower deck. I forgot to mention in my first post,,, does anyone have a rough idea what this thing may be worth in it's present condition? Any ballpark number that would be fair to both the buyer and seller? Thanks. RRM