Suggestions on 20” pro saw

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #31  
have had MS260 for about 12 yrs, never missed a beat. imho 20" bar is stretching it, have a 16" on mine, 18" would be ideal. works great as a companion to my MS 460 w/25". good luck. they ain't cheap these days. regards

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #32  
I have four Stihl saws, a consumer grade ms171, farm grade 29 and 310, and a pro grade 460.

I wouldn’t recommend spending the extra money for pro grade unless you use it like a ro.

The cheap light 181 is fine for limbing and yard cleanup, the 029 are fine for most of my tree removal and firewood tasks, and the 460 hasn’t been fired up for years.

My opinion is the Ripley get their ego hung up on having to saws, when that is overkill and totally unnecessary for most.

If you’re doing 20 cords every year, that’s another story, but five cords????

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw
Not doing firewood. Mostly felling trees, limbing & bucking. My saws are on board my truck and get used weekly.
I use tools & farm equipment to put food on my table, so cheap versions are out of the question.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #34  
I did the deed. Got the 261C for $613. Stihl promo (normally $699.99)
Already used it and I really like it. It’s not a huge hog like my Makita/Dolmar 6401, but it’s perfect for grab & go work.
I think I got mine for $630. At my JD dealer. I sure like it. Havent used it much yet, but look out fall and winter this year.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #35  
I have four Stihl saws, a consumer grade ms171, farm grade 29 and 310, and a pro grade 460.

I wouldn’t recommend spending the extra money for pro grade unless you use it like a ro.

The cheap light 181 is fine for limbing and yard cleanup, the 029 are fine for most of my tree removal and firewood tasks, and the 460 hasn’t been fired up for years.

My opinion is the Ripley get their ego hung up on having to saws, when that is overkill and totally unnecessary for most.

If you’re doing 20 cords every year, that’s another story, but five cords????
Richest guy I know around me has 1000+ acre cattle farm, several hemp fields, tons of irons in the fire everywhere. Runs his cattle operation with a 7.3 powerstroke pickup a 7.3 powerstroke flatbed and a 6.0 powerstroke pickup, 2 Belarus tractors and a old Kubota. I told him a few weeks ago I need to buy a trailer. He was like... You don't need to buy a trailer, you need to borrow mine. Respect the heck out of that guy.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw
I think I got mine for $630. At my JD dealer. I sure like it. Havent used it much yet, but look out fall and winter this year.
I have almost a weekly tree clean up occurrence. As MY area gets overwhelmed with dead ash trees (emerald ash borer), the plethora of invasive trees needing to be cut back and some firewood.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #37  
I have almost a weekly tree clean up occurrence. As MY area gets overwhelmed with dead ash trees (emerald ash borer), the plethora of invasive trees needing to be cut back and some firewood.
Ash makes great fire wood. We heat 100% with wood. I mean 100% we dont even have another source, no furnace no electric or propane. Our area is all oak and hickory great wood but seasoning time is a pain. Ash will season in under a year. Red/white oak is 2 years. BTU of ash is lower but not much.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #38  
I’ve had an Echo Timber Wolf 59cc, 20 inch bar For years. Came with 5 year homeowner full Warranty. Use it a lot, plenty of power, always starts. Quality saw.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #39  
Looking at adding a 20” saw to the fleet and have been looking at a new Stihl 261C.

Without a brand warfare eruption, is there any reason I should look at another comparable brand?

I like Stihl because my neighborhood dealer is very good and I like Stihl‘s business model. That might overwhelm the temptation to buy another brand that is only slightly better.

Little hesitating on the non adjustable carb, but that’s my only perceived drawback.

This is a saw I intend to use weekly as a general purpose small to medium size grab & go saw.

Constructive, non brand warfare thoughts appreciated.
Stihl 262-CM

The M-Tronics are awesome! No cold start issues in Winter. No hot start issues in Summer. It is a beast with a 20" bar.

While a bit more expensive, it is worth every penny IMHO. When my friend borrowed my saw, the next day he asked where I bought it and how much it was! A week later, he owned a "twin" of my saw!

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #40  
Looking at adding a 20” saw to the fleet and have been looking at a new Stihl 261C.

Without a brand warfare eruption, is there any reason I should look at another comparable brand?

I like Stihl because my neighborhood dealer is very good and I like Stihl‘s business model. That might overwhelm the temptation to buy another brand that is only slightly better.

Little hesitating on the non adjustable carb, but that’s my only perceived drawback.

This is a saw I intend to use weekly as a general purpose small to medium size grab & go saw.

Constructive, non brand warfare thoughts appreciated.
I have the Stihl 260 (which is the older version of the same saw) and it is fabulous! It has a compression relieve valve which makes it easy to start. Echo is also good. Don't consider anything other than Stihl or Echo.