suggestions for holes in bed frame.

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
I am a poor person who uses bedframe angle all the time.
I know it is hardned and brittle but it is fine for many uses.
So for years I was able to torch a hole where needed, But now I dont use the torch much.
Anyways a drill will dull real quick or break etc.
does anyone have anty suggestion how to get holes in it other than buying a super drill bit?I am going to try and 'burn' a hole with the arc welder next. Ill see how that works.lol
I considered hittin it prier to drilling with the grinder or torch to heat it . Is that an oprtion?
Thanks..

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame.
Update.
Its cooold out but i set the amps all the way up and arced a hole trough, it worked great.Ony needed small holes but i could make them bigger if I had wobbled the rod.

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #3  
Burning or punching are the only ways I know if to put a hole in a bed rail. I've tried drilling and even grinding.

Someone may have some advice for how to re-temper the steel to make it easier to drill. I know it can be done, but I don't know how to do it.

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #4  
I use bed frame angle iron all the time. Throw it in a burn barrel or a wood file so the end you want to drill gets the heat.

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #5  
Lots of comments:ashamed: I have in my head about WHY:ashamed:?? most should not be shared out loud.:D

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #6  
If you have a compressor and an arc welder, then a carbon arc rod and a focused stream of high velocity air can do the job. Personally, I use an oxyacetelyne cutting torch. With a little practice you can burn a decent 1/4 inch hole thru that stuff fairly quickly and reliably. The O/A torch is also great for removing all the various rivets/bosses/punched lugs you'll find on bed rails. You're not the only one who can't pass by a set of free angle irons on the side of the road with coming home with some scrap.

Either method is great for heat treating pre and post weld. Also great for hot forming.

-Jim

Last edited:
   / suggestions for holes in bed frame. #7  
I bored a lot of holes with my welder before taking the plunge and buying a torch. In my experience, the best way to get a quick hole with a stick welder is to use 6011 rod. It is very deep-penetrating, so welding light material must be done at a low setting. Anything approaching 100 amps will blow a hole thru bed rail pretty fast.

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #8  
My excuse for using bed frame angle is that I'm frequently PAID GOOD MONEY to haul it away and dispose of it. I don't have any more trouble drilling it than I have drilling stainless steel. Use a good quality high speed steel drill bit or better. Start with a 1/8" pilot drill. Use lots of pressure for the bit size and turn it slow. Using coolant or oil will also help but I usually don't bother.

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #9  
I am a poor person who uses bedframe angle all the time.
I know it is hardned and brittle but it is fine for many uses.
So for years I was able to torch a hole where needed, But now I dont use the torch much.
Anyways a drill will dull real quick or break etc.
does anyone have anty suggestion how to get holes in it other than buying a super drill bit?I am going to try and 'burn' a hole with the arc welder next. Ill see how that works.lol
I considered hittin it prier to drilling with the grinder or torch to heat it . Is that an oprtion?
Thanks..
bed frame angle isnt hard i drill it all the time for projects, use a hhs drillbit .

/ suggestions for holes in bed frame. #10  
Correct speeds and feeds will show you that bed angle isn't all that difficult.
David from jax