SUDT or SUDT-2 ?

/ SUDT or SUDT-2 ? #1  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
When I bought my 250 hour L48 TLB 14 months ago, the (original) owner told me that the hydraulic fluid had been (dealer) changed at 200 hours.
I have messed around with moving hose locations on the hoe, and have lost a small amount of fluid.
I will buy SUDT-2 just to have some on hand, but do not know if SUDT or SUDT-2 is currently in the system.
I assume that it would be satisfactory to mix these two types of Kubota approved fluid......but I do not really know!

/ SUDT or SUDT-2 ? #2  
I would use SUDT-2 It will be fine if you every changed the hyd oil and it had SUTD in it you would never get it all out anyway so mixing them will be fine .....

/ SUDT or SUDT-2 ?
I would use SUDT-2 It will be fine if you every changed the hyd oil and it had SUTD in it you would never get it all out anyway so mixing them will be fine .....

Thank you !!!

You did not respond earlier.
Should I plan to deliver ????

Last edited:
   / SUDT or SUDT-2 ? #4  
When I did my 600 hour change with 7.5 gal SUDT-2 I noticed the seals leaked a bit more (nick on the BH stabilizer shaft - due to some run away rocks) other than that the hydro seems quieter and as Peter says the system has a mix of fluids so it doesn't matter.

/ SUDT or SUDT-2 ? #5  
It's a good question whether it matters to mix hydaulic fluids. I've never heard of it mattering - maybe the fluids are made that way since it is just about impossible to completely drain a hydraulic system anyway. Every single cylinder is going to have substantial fluid in it - as well as the hoses and such.

In the industrial world - especially in skid steers and ag machinery - lots of rental implements attach to the hydraulic system and have their own fluid onboard which immediately gets mixed in. So it would be impossible to keep a pure fluid. But even there I've not heard of mixing fluids being a problem.

I have also noticed that some hydraulic machinery will sound different with different hydraulic fluid - I have no idea what that means, though.
Our M59 Kubota sounds different with Kubota SUDT than it does with Ambra GL 134d. And both are premium fluids.
I haven't tried the new Ambra Ultraction or JD Hytran in it.

Interestingly, John Deere has just gone away from using their Hytran hydraulic/transmission oil in some of their tractors and TLBs and now recommend that their motor oil be used instead. At the yellow JD store the mechanics told me they heard it was because the motor oil was now as good a fluid in all ways and better at low temperatures.
rScotty

/ SUDT or SUDT-2 ? #6  
Thank you !!!

You did not respond earlier.
Should I plan to deliver ????

Anytime will be fine just park the tractor in back near the barn I will handle the rest and just leave the key in it......Thanks :D

/ SUDT or SUDT-2 ?
Anytime will be fine just park the tractor in back near the barn I will handle the rest and just leave the key in it......Thanks :D

OK !!!!!