Sucking Moisture

/ Sucking Moisture #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
I don't know if you all remember or not but I purchased a TC29D that had sat on a lot over a winter with an empty fuel tank. On the first tank of fuel my tractor started spitting out black smoke, lost power and eventually shut down. The fuel separator glass was not only full of moisture but crud. The fuel tank was cleaned and filter changed a couple of times and I used a lot on fuel conditioner of some kind. By the end of last season I felt we finally have gotten rid of all the crud and moisture. All winter I kept the tractor in a heated garage and it started great with no black smoke or puffing. As spring came I still did not see any problems.

Last week I had to let the tractor sit outside because we are taping our garage. I went out to start the tractor and the black smoke was just billowing out of it and it was puffing away. I remembered last summer having moisture under the fuel cap. And yep, it is full of moisture beads. I am sure the tractor is hot and then during the cool down it is pulling moisture in. Do I need to replace the fuel cap? I know there is a vent in the cap.

Just looking for some other ideas.

murph

/ Sucking Moisture #2  
I'm about as far from a diesel expert as you can get....but... have you checked the air side ( filter, intake, etc ). About a week into owning my TC35D mice decided the air cleaner was a good spot for home. I had to install a plastic pipe tee with screen on each inlet on the intake hose to keep them out.

From my experience ( again its limited ) smoke means incomplete combustion which means too much fuel or too little air depending on how you look at it.

If the fuel tank is at least mostly full, I can't imagine you'll get that much condensation. Once the temperature of the fuel matches the ambient temp, the condensation will stop. Bringing the tractor from a shady cool spot to a warm moist spot will cause a bit, but only for a while. Think beer can from fridge to edge of hot tub...except inside-out /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Sucking Moisture
I just changed the filters about two weeks ago. I guess it is possible that some mice got up in there so I will check that out tonight.

murph

/ Sucking Moisture
Yes I did change sources last summer when the problem all started. Remember when my problems started it was with the fuel that came with the tractor when I got it. I only ran it an hour and the troubles began. I did change sources at that time because I did think I was continueing to bad fuel. It has run all winter fine until last week I left it sit outside and after it sat a day I went out to start it and barely could get it to start. After I finally did get it started I couldn't keep it running and it just spit out black smoke and puffed. It is hard for me to believe that it has been working so well and then all of a sudden it just acts up.

I will call the dealer today
murph

/ Sucking Moisture #6  
An old gas tractor I have could not sit outside. Would stall out from water the next day. Gave it a close once over finally, & there was a dent & pin hole in the air cleaner. The hood sheet metal directed water right to that dent, and the aircleaner would get rain or even dew in it. Probably not at all helpful, but a thought. I put a dab of silicon on it 15 years ago, and works fine inside or out...

--->Paul