Subaru Automobiles

/ Subaru Automobiles #11  
I had one briefly as a rental. The adaptive cruise control is fantastic. The automatic braking I wasn't thrilled about. I was backing onto a gentle curving slope very slow speed nowhere near hitting the bumper and the stupid thing slammed on the brakes
Like Moss had mentioned, the rear radar has a good distance for range.
I noticed the key FOB range is huge as well. It’s about 4 times the range over my F250.

/ Subaru Automobiles #12  
Didn't want to side track the EV thread any longer, so thought it appropriate to start a new thread.
Does yours have the auto engine shut off like a golf cart does? I dislike that idea very much. We need to push a button “A” in order to disable the feature every time we start the car. Seems to me like way too much unnecessary wear and tear on the starter.
It also creates lag from the start of an intersection. Reminds me a little bit of driving my 6.0 PSD. Terrible lag until the turbo starts.

/ Subaru Automobiles #13  
Last 15 years+- or so of Subarus have been noticeably better in snow than any of our many previous manually controlled Jeeps. New computerized Jeep's traction is better than new Subaru's traction.

Bruce

/ Subaru Automobiles #14  
Is anyone familiar with towing using a tow bar? I found this inertia tow bar braking system that seems very interesting. My only experience with a tow bar was back in the 80’s and it was a big negative. Tow bar systems seem to have advanced a lot over the years.
1678769490157.jpeg

Anyone tow anything with their Subaru?

/ Subaru Automobiles
Post a picture!
My wife just drove this Forrester Wilderness off the showroom floor.

That was a 1st ever experience. Largest car dealership I’ve ever seen.

What do you think of the CVT transmission?
View attachment 788330
I’m not sure I like auto adjust lights either. They seem too bright for city driving.

The Wilderness has a push button for a front camera view under the bumper. So you can see what your driving over. Haven't tried the cruise control yet. Only have 70 miles on it so far.

My dad’s Outback was much better driving through snow than my Ram2500 4x4 with all terrain 35” tall tires.
I remember driving through snow so deep that it plowed up over the hood into the windshield on an unplowed road. I had expected to get stuck anytime and it never happened.
I like the CVT transmission. No shift bumps. I got to drive my kid's Legacy several times over the years, so I was used to it.

Our Outback has the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. I suppose that would be handy in hilly terrain or on the racetrack 😬 . No need for it here in the flat part if Indiana. We're taking it to Oklahoma in April, and there's a few hilly stretches in Missouri where I like to kick the throttle on the Impala and Suburban at the bottom of the hills so it maintains speed up the hill before the cruise control kicks it down. So we'll see then.

Ours does not have the font camera that I know of. We test drove a 2023 that had it. Pretty neat. It also had the turbo engine. Man, it was responsive. But we don't need that.

/ Subaru Automobiles
Some of the pre-2013 Subarus had problems with the head gaskets and warped heads. They addressed that with re-design in 2014.
Yes, I've been concerned about that for a decade. I test drove several over the years. We have a local used car dealer that does a lot of foreign cars. His kids went to school with our kids, so I almost trust him. He said any of those that he takes in on trade he just automatically changed the head gaskets and timing belt, marked up his costs, and put it on the lot. He didn't want the reputation for selling cars and having the engines fry after they drove it off the lot. He was pretty honest about it, with me at least.

/ Subaru Automobiles
Does yours have the auto engine shut off like a golf cart does? I dislike that idea very much. We need to push a button “A” in order to disable the feature every time we start the car. Seems to me like way too much unnecessary wear and tear on the starter.
It also creates lag from the start of an intersection. Reminds me a little bit of driving my 6.0 PSD. Terrible lag until the turbo starts.
Yes. It has it. My wife and I were trying to figure out why sometimes it stops the engine, and sometimes it does not. Stop signs, stoplights. No rhyme or reason. So we googled it up, and found that there's a whole list of criteria that it looks at before deciding to shut the engine down. It displays a little information each time it does it to show you how much gas it saves. You can reset the meter if you want to.

And yes, we have the little "A" button, and yes, it has to be disabled every time you start the car if you want to disable it. I don't mind it too much. They have supposedly designed the starter to be able to take it. The delay just annoys me. I'd guess the delay isn't half of one second, but my cat-like reflexes get thrown off when waiting that long for something to happen. 🤣

/ Subaru Automobiles
I was playing around with the car top carrier. I guess I didn't realize the cross-bars stowed on each side when not in use. Neat.

/ Subaru Automobiles #20  
I test drove an Impreza before I bought my current Mazda 3. The deal breaker was the rubber band transmission with fake shift points that can't be removed.