Subaru Automobiles

/ Subaru Automobiles
We put about 300 miles of mixed driving on the 2020 Outback today. Residential streets to freeway and everything in between.

Overall, very satisfied with the way things work, fit, finish, etc.

Plugged my phone into the USB and the HUGE touchscreen was great with google maps from the phone.

Got to use all of the driving features.

The lane departure warning works well. Has an audible beep. Shows lane lines changing to orange on the display as you look through the steering wheel. And some orange LEDs display on the windshield.

One thing we noticed was when you go through an intersection for side streets that have to stop, and you don't, at highway speeds, there's a break in the lane lines on the sides of the road, because, well, a road is crossing. Sometimes it beeps a warning. Kinda interesting.

Another thing we noticed is that DRY SALT LINES on the road confuses teh lane keep assist. We've had bouts of snow and ice the past few weeks, so the roads were heavily salted. Today was dry and sunny. So in many places, the tires had thrown the salt to the sides and centers of the lanes. They looked just like faint white stripes. Now along comes a truck and takes a while to change lanes, so they clear a couple hundred long diagonal across the salt line while changing lanes.

The car does not like that and tries to keep in what it thinks are the lines.

I turned it off and just used the lane departure feature.

Once the salt lines went away, I switched it back on and it works very well.

Adaptive cruse control I had set on MAX, which is really far out in front of you. About 5 seconds behind the car you're following. I bumped it down to the middle of the five settings and that put me just a speck over the 2 seconds that I like to follow at. Works great. I find myself passing less people as it follows them at a safe distance and doesn't vary much at all.

We got around 32-33mpg on the highways.

It was a windy day and the car held the road nicely.

/ Subaru Automobiles #92  
I have a Subaru Ascent. I bought it mostly because it had the most headroom of all the cars we looked at. (I don't bend very well.) I also don't like Onstar! We had a GMC truck with it and had a problem while under warranty where it wouldn't start (during an evacuation for a hurricane). We were in a parking lot alongside a state highway, called Onstar to get help and they wanted me to walk several miles down to the next cross road to determine where I was and give them the intersection road names. :eek: They were unable to help me. I ended up getting a tow truck and had it towed to the nearest dealership where they replaced the in-tank fuel pump and kept the full tank of fuel.

Back to the Subaru: driving home on I-45 I've had a couple of situations I felt were risky with the automatic features. 1st had a plastic shopping bag blow across the interstate and the car applied the brakes. Another time in the same area it applied the brakes all of a sudden and I have no idea why. There was nothing around that I could see. I'm concerned about getting rear ended, and wonder how that would play out with insurance companies and who would be at fault.

The adaptive cruise control is great! It does apply the brakes if needed. The acceleration rate can be adjusted in 4 steps and you can also adjust the following distance. I have mine set to #3 for both which is slow accleration and lots of following distance.

What i do not like is the windshield wiper delay system. I have the one that looks at the density of rain on the windshield and turns on the wipers based on that. It never seems to see the windshield as I see it. I'd rather have the timer the lower trim levels use.

The lane assist is nice. As my neighbor describes it: It reminds me when I get sloppy in my driving. I do agree with him and keep it on. It does object when you do a last minute swerve to avoid a pot hole though.

/ Subaru Automobiles
I forgot, one of the things lane centering does I do not like. When passing someone, car or big truck, doesn't matter, I like to get over to the left side of the passing lane to keep as much room as I can between me and the vehicle I'm passing. The lane centering tries to take my back to the middle of the passing lane, pushing to my right towards the vehicle I'm trying to stay away from. So, for the most part, I'm going to be using lane centering on open roads, and turn in off in traffic. I'll keep lane departure on all the time.

/ Subaru Automobiles #94  
That's how i've found myself using Lane Assist too. I like to use my whole lane, since i paid good money for it, and move either left or right to give somebody a little more room, just in case.

Another thing i learned, is to put a bit of pressure on the steering wheel when going into an area where entrance lane is merging onto the highway. For instance, lane merging onto highway from the right, the car will try to go center on the wide area that is coming onto the highway and move to the right, a bit of pressure keeping it closer to the left so it won't slide to the right to try and center it's self.

/ Subaru Automobiles #97  
I owned three Subaru's with good luck;in the family now are a 2019,2022 and a 2023(daughter and granddaughters).Wife liked the new Acadia's better or we would still own one.

/ Subaru Automobiles #98  
Minor news, I posted in the EV thread that squirrels ate the wiring in the Focus Wagon. Today I picked it up repaired, and asked what this Subaru/Tesla/Audi specialty shop would charge to replace the spark plugs in my '99 Outback.

Last time the OB's plugs were replaced, I watched the tech with some magic extensions do the project in 45 minutes.

Today this specialty shop quoted me $450 to do the plugs.

Uh no thanks. I'll shop around. Maybe buy $100 of extensions, and/or bend some cheap HF tools to get in there.

/ Subaru Automobiles #99  
I did the plugs in my WRX with basic home garage tools. But, it involved pulling the battery, the air intake and unbolting the motor motor mounts and jacking the engine up a few inches. And I had 2 friends to help. EASY PEASY :D

Me and my son doing a Subaru spark plug change for the FRS.
1679363146478.png

I don't understand all the complaints about changing Subaru spark plugs :p

/ Subaru Automobiles #100  
Had a 2015 Outback for years - loved it - but it was t-boned by a careless driver and totalled. I switched to a 2021 Forester Touring. We generally loved Subaru because of the snow performance and ground clearance - we live at the end of a mile-long gravel drive through a forest. We went with the Touring because it had something my height-challenged bride really wanted - a passenger seat that went up and down. So the car came with all the extras. Love the transmission. This car goes through snow (up to 9 inches) and on ice better than my 4WD F150 - which is important on some really steep curves on our driveway. We routinely slide some with past cars and trucks - never with the Subaru.
I like the adaptive cruise control and use it a lot - with a fairly long following distance. I'm an old guy now and just never drive in a rush - so it is great. The lane centering is handy really only on mostly open roads when I want to take a sip of coffee or open a snack. I never take both hands off the wheel, but it is great and avoiding inadvertent steering. My only real gripe is the system that watches the driver's face and warns him to pay attention. I am blind in one eye and that eye is smaller. The car cannot recognize me and is constantly telling me to stay awake. Subaru tells me that they cannot turn off that feature or adjust it to recognize my eye - so I have to turn it off every time I get in the car.
Otherwise the car is well made and easy to maintain. Mileage is great and the turning off the engine at lights doesn't seem to hurt anything - and I've adjusted to it without angst. My area has a lot of farmers and a lot of retirees - and, consequently, a lot of Subarus. You can see a half dozen side-by-side in parking lots all the time.