Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #271  
A friend had gotten a new clothes dryer. But the cord prong configuration didn't work for her 240 volt outlet. She gave me a verbal description of the outlet. I pickup a pig tail and went to her house. I take off the old pig tail. She asks, "are you sure this one will work?" I say "yes, here let me show you," and I plug in the cord while holding to the leads in my other hand. Its amazing that all we see when we are being electrocuted, is blackness and bright pops of light. :)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #272  
LOL I used to climb up on the stove when I was little by grabbing the vent hood & pulling myself up to get things I knew were in the cabinet over the hood. One time I did that but accidentally reached up into the exposed back of the switch box. You are right about Dark with bright lights. I vaguely remember a weird buzz too. Stopped climbing and used a step stool from then on.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #273  
I just remembered another stupid thing I did about 12 years ago.
One of my semi tractors needed a new seat so I told the driver to pick up a new one at the Peterbilt dealer as they had them on sale. Driver called when he got theere and asked asked if he should have them install it for $50. I declined and had him bring it to the shop. Went down the next morning, unbolted the old seat, cleaned all the accumulated debris off the floor and managed to get the new seat up into the cab (those seats are heavy!). Bolted it down, and while leaning over the seat bolting the seat belt to the side of the seat, I managed to slip off the bolt and smack myself in the mouth with the very hard Snap-On ratchet handle. Many foul words were uttered, and besides a hole completely through my upper lip, I managed to knock chunks off both front teeth. Only cost $500 to get them fixed.
Should have had the Pete garage install it.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #274  
Working on a friends 53 Chevy...Not planning to do any electrical work....Wrench slipped and fell down beside the engine. I reached down to grab it and it hit the frame and the hot post on the starter..Nearly burned my wedding ring in two, with my finger in it. I took the nippers and cut the ring and got it off before my sausage like ring finger swelled up to kielbasi size. Smelled like a cooking sausage. Cost about $100 to get the ring repaired and resized before our 20Th anniversary.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #275  
This thread needs emojis for ... grimace, uggh, ouch, smarts, silly, costly, dumb, and glad you survived :)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #276  
I just remembered another stupid thing I did about 12 years ago.
One of my semi tractors needed a new seat so I told the driver to pick up a new one at the Peterbilt dealer as they had them on sale. Driver called when he got theere and asked asked if he should have them install it for $50. I declined and had him bring it to the shop. Went down the next morning, unbolted the old seat, cleaned all the accumulated debris off the floor and managed to get the new seat up into the cab (those seats are heavy!). Bolted it down, and while leaning over the seat bolting the seat belt to the side of the seat, I managed to slip off the bolt and smack myself in the mouth with the very hard Snap-On ratchet handle. Many foul words were uttered, and besides a hole completely through my upper lip, I managed to knock chunks off both front teeth. Only cost $500 to get them fixed.
Should have had the Pete garage install it.
I bought a new cast iron sink, store would install for $50. I decided that I would install it myself.

Between getting it into place, and crawling around under the sink, I got my upper back messed up.

Took three weeks and $750 my deductible to get the back realigned . It kept hurting for a few years. The $50 would have been money well spent.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #278  
One that has happened probably half a dozen times over the years. Pulling upto something on a job, fire hydrant, pallet of pipe fittings; front end loader forks, ect; getting out, BSing around, hope back in, and go forwards. You see the item when you pull up to it, but then when you get in to leave, it's below the hood, and you pull right into it....

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #279  
The dealer wanted $120 to change the oil in my truck so I decided to save some money and do it myself. Put 7 quarts of synthetic oil in then checked the dipstick. EMPTY! I forgot to put the drain plug in. $50 worth of oil in my yard.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #280  
Years ago, was changing oil in personal truck on a slow Saturday at work, and cell phone fell out of shirt pocket. Ran it over when done. So, couple months later, I got smart, and put cell phone on rear bumper when changing oil. Drove down US1 with cell phone on bumper, and lost it somewhere... looked around several times, never found it.