Stump splitter on a backhoe?

/ Stump splitter on a backhoe? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I live in the Great Northwet (i left the s out on purpose) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
and have some 2nd growth stumps I would like to remove but rather then dig them out with the backhoe bucket I am thinking of building a ripper like this one <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.attachmentsexpress.com/product.asp?pf_id=GMODA000&dept_id=2>http://www.attachmentsexpress.com/product.asp?pf_id=GMODA000&dept_id=2</A>

Has anyone used one of these on their backhoe? How did it work out for you? I could have a real professional stump splitter built for my hoe but am being quoted $1500 + /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Thanks for your input! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Stump splitter on a backhoe? #2  
I've used one on a 410 Deere and wasn't impressed,
u can't SEE what u are doing.
For shallow roots it is ok but larger trees w/ large roots
down deep u have to drag the dipperstick thru dirt w/
rocks and roots and u will lose the locks on your pins.
Now I use my 710 w/ 18" bucket that has HD side
plates and ice pick teeth, it's a stump eating machine.
In the Deere literature these are called asphault
rippers.

/ Stump splitter on a backhoe?
I didnt even think about not being able to see what I will be doing and/or dragging the pins through dirt and such......hmmmm.

A local metal fab place can build me a stump splitter that looks like the one (in the pic I attached) but it wont have the rake, is this setup somewhat similar to the bucket you use on your 710?

Do you think this thing will beat the heck out of my hoe as this is mainly used by trackhoe's in the 200 range?

Attachments

• 17-229058-splitterRake_420.jpg
    17-229058-splitterRake_420.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 769
   / Stump splitter on a backhoe? #4  
One you may think about that aplies less force on your machin would be a hydraulic stump splitter. I got to operate on for a local equipment show a freind was having. it had a stiff arm like a thumb that went onto the back plate of the shear which was attached to the bucket pivot. Also the shear that pivoted and went between the back plates. It was run by the bucket cylinder. It would chew put the stumps by splitting it in the middle 2 times then on the sides. then you could pull them out. This was on a big 300 Komatsu the dealer had one that went on a small hoe that looked similar, But it pivotd on the bucket and had its own cylinder. to take away all the strees on the bucket cylinder. It was on a 310 Deere and also an a 92 455 Ford hoe. the one requirement on it is to have auxhilary hydraulics. It worked very well wed split all the stumps then come back with the bucket and easily pull them out.

Now, I've never seen any of these attachments in use. But isn't it just as easy to dig one out with the hoe? It doesn't seem to take my boss to long to dig out stumps with his backhoe.

Blake
WA

The main advantage of stump splitter is that it splits the stump into pieces while still in the ground which makes it easier to remove and then grind or burn. You can also apply more pressure to a stump with a 2" thick splitter compared to a 12''-18" bucket.

Digging them out can take longer and then you have one solid stump to deal with, plus it can put more wear and tear on your bucket and boom.

I found another stump splitter on the market but this one requires extra hydraulics, man what a mean looking piece of metal (see attchment) /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 17-229174-StumpShear.jpg
    17-229174-StumpShear.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 610
   / Stump splitter on a backhoe? #7  
I built one for my bx22 but have not had much time to test it out with the ground being so frozen here in the northeast. have to wait till spring. its made from 1" steel plate 20" long by 4" put a knife edge on it and hard faced it with weld. attached is a drawing I drew as a design.

Attachments

• 17-229232-ripper.jpg
    17-229232-ripper.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 547
   / Stump splitter on a backhoe? #8  
I bought the used 18" bucket from local large
construction co.
Some how they broke the 1"x8" side plate and bent side of
bucket.(hit it w/ D10????).
Got it for $200.00 ($1500-2000 new)and replaced
T-1 plates on sides,welded up w/7018, and haven't
broke anything yet.
Ice pick teeth help to rip large roots apart.
I don't know about using stump splitter on large
(4'+)stumps in clay, usually takes 15-20 min. to
dig out.

Hoemann00 - I like the way you think, reusing busted/bent parts and modifying them to suit your needs. I like to do this as well!

Do you have any pics of your modified bucket?

I am thinking I should build my own stump splitter rather than pay an outfit $900 to make one I should invest $$ in a welder, learn to weld and visit scrap yards for metal and such....not only will I save $$ but I will have my own welder to tinker with and make or modify as many attachments as I like /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Stump splitter on a backhoe? #10  
No pics and hoe is still out on job, tooooo cold to
try to get it home.