Stump bucket on worksaver

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #11  
but the question remain why just not get a stump bucket with the quick attach ?? that why there is quick attach why going through the trouble to attach the stump buckets to forks ?

/ Stump bucket on worksaver
but the question remain why just not get a stump bucket with the quick attach ?? that why there is quick attach why going through the trouble to attach the stump buckets to forks ?
Not wanting to attach to the forks. I just wanted to know if there was one that I could just utilize my current pallet forks QA frame by removing the forks and adding a small stump bucket?

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #13  
Not wanting to attach to the forks. I just wanted to know if there was one that I could just utilize my current pallet forks QA frame by removing the forks and adding a small stump bucket?

Yes just look for a stump bucket with SSQA. Most of them will be because they are really designed for skid steers. Is your tractor insurance up to date?

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #14  
ho I see probably would be able to find such thing by contacting the manufacture directly and do a special order but its not like you will save any money by doing so never mind your time... you are better off to sell you forks and purchasing the stump bucket with the SSQA . Most people love their forks, often describe as the most useful implements if you cut off your forks or sell it you might regret it in the future.... My suggestion keep your forks and buy the stump bucket if you want one, you will save time and money because after you can sell both and not a costume made stump bucket that someone may or may not be skeptical about and a set of fork without a back plate. Both of these in this scenario are worth way less then both in their original states.

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #15  
@Grjfer - go small on the bucket. Your loader, like mine, can't handle a lot of force... dig easy, use the curl on the bucket, take your time. I don't try to dig out huge stumps... that's for other machines. I use our bucket to dig out up to maybe 8"- 10" diameter stump. Some can't be done with a tractor stump bucket. Most can. Be willing to swing an axe, use a come-along, use a winch, rather than tear up your tractor. When there is no movement after several tries, go for another approach.

Titan and Good Works Tractors both sell small stump buckets for SSQA.

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #16  
Had a stump bucket for a very short time on a 7K tractor;about useless I.M.H.O;quickly sold it to a fellow with a skid steer.

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #17  
I have a similar stump bucket (All States) for my 40HP in use for 3 months now, but it's been only part of how I go about clearing stumps (mostly lateral roots like loblolly and poplar). The largest stump I'm removed so far is about 20" in diameter (80yo loblolly).

My process is to:
  1. use the stump bucket like a backhoe, meaning, I don't go directly at the stump but work it to expose the root system;
  2. manually with mattock, clean up the exposed root system;
  3. using cheap 8ten semi-chisel on my Stihl MS250, cut the "toes" of the root system fairly close to the stump. I do 2 deep/plunge cuts per root an inch or two apart and eventually extract a biscuit, which leaves wiggle room all around when it's time to pull. I obviously don't get more than 1 good cut at a time with dirty wood, but the 8ten suffers it pretty good, and chisels up sharp enough for the next go.
  4. using a cordless sawzall with 9" or 12" pruning blades, do cleanup and sucker roots;
  5. back to the stump bucket. Without going all yahoo with it, I'll drive into, around and under the stump, until it gives a little on all sides. This part doesn't take long, and I stay mindful of the limits of this machine's hydraulics and frame integrity;
  6. pull! Smaller stumps get the 3-point log skidder and chain treatment. Larger stumps need block'n'tackle for mechanical advantage to pop.
  7. switch out the stump bucket for a grapple, and carry my prize off to the "stump garden" (see pic). The larger ones come out looking a little too much like elephant's feet.
I can do a couple small stumps per day, or a couple days per larger stump. Don't mistake this for anything other than hobby farm level stuff. I'm semi-retired, so may only put a solid 2 hours in any given day. It's slow'n'steady going progress, but extremely satisfying.

For scale, the standing stump on the left is 4' tall and 21" in diameter.
PXL_20220730_153830329.MP.jpg

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #18  
I've used a stump bucket on a ~7000lb skid steer, with much frustration. It does what it is supposed to do, but my hard ground and mesquite wood is nearly worst case scenario and that particular bucket was a bit oversize for that skid steer. The other end of the spectrum from the people who make everything look easy because they live on top of 10 feet of sand...

Im still planning to build something 'like' a stump bucket for my tiny tractors. So i am sort of between the two camps here. I agree that there is a high chance that a stump bucket on a small tractor will both give disappointing results and lead to damage if not used cautiously. But, just like everything else where spending your way out of the problem is not the ONLY solution, i also agree with the people saying it is possible to use it productively if you work patiently and within the limits of the equipment.

As far as the fork spades go, i'm a little dubious because in terms of force there is almost no difference between that and just digging with the forks you already have. I doubt the clamp/chain on spades fit tightly enough to prevent one fork tip from bending when the force is uneven on the spade (and sufficiently high). So if you think your loader COULD bend one of your forks, I might not consider a spade like that. If you DONT think your loader can bend one of your forks OR you think you could operate patiently and cautiously with a spade or stump bucket if you had one.. you might well just try taking that caution.. and digging with the forks!

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #19  
I have a stump bucket on my skid steer. The 2 biggest problems are in soft ground the skid steer gets buried up and can’t work and the other problem is skid steers aren’t very heavy on the front end and sometimes it’s a struggle to drive the bucket in the ground. Aside from those problems it’s a fairly useful tool. But I wouldn’t recommend one on a tractor. A FEL really isn’t durable enough for that use.

/ Stump bucket on worksaver #20  
The general thing i've found for getting the initial 'penetration' into the ground whether it's on skid steer or tractor, stump bucket or regular, is: dump the bucket until it's pointed down, probably 60-90 degrees. Push down on the ground and pick up your front wheels. Hold the brakes (skid steer or hydrostatic tractor may not need to since you have hydrostatic braking) and curl the bucket up a bit, from the initial 60-90 degrees to something like 20-45 depending on what angle you're actually trying to dig in at. Once you've curled to that angle, start driving forward. If you have 4wd you probably want to let the front wheels down to the ground and maybe even pick up on the loader just a bit to give the front some traction. That gets you the initial penetration into the ground, and then you can sort of work it from there. My .02. My ground out here is so hard that my ~450lb box blade 'chatters' on the dirt without digging unless i've scarified it extensively first, but i can still get my straight-edge FEL bucket to dig in like that. And once you've gone the 1st 2-3" down it seems like it gets easier after that.