Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access

/ Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
We live in the middle of nowhere and my somewhat slow internet access was bounced off a dish on a neighbors grain elevator to a dish by my house and then a 500ft underground cable to the house. Internet was often down and a tree distorted my signal.

But, by chance, I was talking with Verizon about getting a phone and the fellow mentioned a test program where, if you were able to get a cell phone signal, you could get a high speed internet router for home use from them. It was $70 a month but they would knock off $20 so it was $50 a month. $40 if you chose direct payment from your bank account. The router is $10 a month for two years but they credit back the $10 a month so router is zero cost. I said I'd think about it.

When I called back to get it, no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I spent several hours on wait with people that had no idea what I wanted. They all tried to sell me a service that ran through my phone to power the computer and that's not what I wanted. Finally, I found someone that sort-of knew what I was talking about and they helped me out but wanted to charge more. She said it was a new program. Anyway she found my price and in two days I got the router and in two minutes was up and running. Zero issues.

So, the way I understand it, if you can get the Verizon cell phone signal, this will work for you. You have to call to check your address and figure out your cost, but it works for me. Call at 8AM EDT to keep the wait time down. I used to spend $80 a month for Internet, had a speed of 10 and went down often. Now, I have a speed of 15 for $50 a month and it only goes down if power is out. But then, I would have my cell phone access.

For too long rural people have suffered with third world internet access but I feel better now. Just an FYI if this can help anyone. There's a learning curve to this so it may take a while. Try to speak with someone that speaks fluent English and that helps.

Last edited:
   / Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access #2  
We live in the middle of nowhere and my somewhat slow internet access was bounced off a dish on a neighbors grain elevator to a dish by my house and then a 500ft underground cable to the house. Internet was often down and a tree distorted my signal.

But, by chance, I was talking with Verizon about getting a phone and the fellow mentioned a test program where, if you were able to get a cell phone signal, you could get a high speed internet router for home use from them. It was $70 a month but they would knock off $20 so it was $50 a month. $40 if you chose direct payment from your bank account. The router is $10 a month for two years but they credit back the $10 a month so router is zero cost. I said I'd think about it.

When I called back to get it, no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I spent several hours on wait with people that had no idea what I wanted. They all tried to sell me a service that ran through may phone to power the computer and that's not what I wanted. Finally, I found someone that sort-of knew what I was talking about and they helped me out but wanted to charge more. She said it was a new program. Anyway she found my price and in two days I got the router and in two minutes was up and running. Zero issues.

So, the way I understand it, if you can get the Verizon cell phone signal, this will work for you. You have to call to check your address and figure out your cost, but it works for me. Call at 8AM EDT to keep the wait time down. I used to spend $80 a month for Internet, had a speed of 10 and went down often. Now, I have a speed of 15 for $50 a month and it only goes down if power is out. But then, I would have my cell phone access.

For too long rural people have suffered with third world internet access but I feel better now. Just an FYI if this can help anyone. There's a learning curve to this so it may take a while. Try to speak with someone that speaks fluent English and that helps.

The service is called LTE Home. I have had it for 3 or 4 months and regularly get downloads in the 40 to 50 M speed. The system has been flawless except for 8 days a couple of weeks ago when the local tower went down. Of course, if the tower was in LA and not the boondocks where I live it would have been down for 8 hours, not 8 days.

/ Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access
Orezok--Thank you.

How do you know your speeds?

Last edited:
   / Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access #5  
This seems to be quite common in Canada. Most of the rural places receive their internet through the cell service towers.

/ Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access #6  
My neighbor just got it and is hitting 50 Mbps down.

I'm only getting 15 on AT&T but for the price I'm paying I'm staying with it until they cut me off.

/ Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access #9  

Our zip code is on the list, but, where I am located, we get spotty phone service.

BUT!!

Next Wednesday, our fiber optic will be connected into the house
We have signed up for 50/50 Mbps service, right now we have 5.5/0.8 Mbps DSL,,

The fiber cable was brought to the house last week by the pole climbing part of the install service.

Now, I gotta sort out what type of streaming TV service to add, so I can drop Dish Network,,
o_O

/ Stumbled onto reliable rural internet access #10  
Sounds good, but what is the data cap ?
Is it like so many others that when you
reach so many Gigabytes, it slows to nearly nothing ?

Also, does it slow way down in the evening during high usage ?