Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #611  
So, the comment I've got from engineering companies is; 1) the old experienced guys are old, and retiring, and want $,$$$; 2) they don't really want to sink the time/expense into a fresh EIT (Engineer In Training; ie, fresh out of college; who no offense, are worthless for atleast the first 6 months at a minimum), and then once they have their PE, they move on. What I've been told is what they all really need are journey type guys.

Construction; and I'll admit I'm part od the problem; you are literally missing an entire generation. Lots of guys in their 60s; and quite a few in there 20s; but all of us that where in it in '08, got the heck out, and didn't come back. So, as the old farts die off, they don't have experienced people in the field. I'm still 'construction adjacent', and around it every day, but not really part of the active process. Look at superintendents (BTW, commercial or multi family supers are often making over $100k if they are willing to travel), you've got guys in their 60s (the experienced ones from '08 that survived), and guys that might be pushing 30, that got into it in '14/15/16.

I'm sure other professions have a similar issue; but I doubt many lost any entire generation of people.

Trucking is gonna get rough in 5 or 10 years; with the new CDL requirements; and smaller outfits not being able to put a new hire through 6 week driving school. Many lease truck dump truck and local haulers had in the past official or unofficially partnered with jails/prisons and could put new release in a truck with a trainer for 1 week, and then make money off him. If your running say 5 or 10 trucks, your not going to pay the $6k to get a new driver licensed, only for him or her to leave in 3 months.

Very small sample, but nurses, seem to be very old; in late 30s early 40s, but only 5 years experience, or 21.
It’s that way in my field too. A lot of us in my generation are retiring and we have a lot of new graduates recently hired. There was a lag in hiring 20-30 years back and the age gap shows. However, I’m also impressed with the young people we are hiring and I’m delaying retirement just so I can spend a few more years working with these young people and providing what mentoring I can. Also I find it refreshing to work with bright young people.

/ Student Loan Debt?
Sometimes I would be nice not having to think so much about work when off the clock... 12 hours today and unscheduled OT...

Back at 7 am Sunday and working possibly through Super Bowl time.

We go through the interview process and even with a job offer in hand it can be iffy...

Went through the entire on-boarding with new employee who was doing great and then gave notice.

Turns out she had an application in at Stanford and they were slow to hire and then she gets the call...

RNs especially have lots of options in the SF Bay Area...

/ Student Loan Debt? #613  
My son’s college playing career is over. Now he is a HS teacher and just last week began coaching HS lacrosse. The lessons learned in playing a sport is just like an outdoor classroom. You learn teamwork, goal achievement and pushing yourself to do things you never imagined.
Neat thing is, he is teaching/coaching at the high school where he played and he was coached by ME! And I played there many years before!
Pretty cool, huh? :)
Anyway, the players on his team are very excited to have him there. His name hangs from a banner in the gymnasium rafters for all time goals scored in school history.

A phase of life ends, and a new one begins. His principal is really excited to have him as a coach and she will promote him to head coach in a few years.

1707656064051.jpeg

My wife and I are so proud of him. He was a great player in HS, played on national TV in college, and now has “returned home” to begin giving back to his community.

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #614  
It’s that way in my field too. A lot of us in my generation are retiring and we have a lot of new graduates recently hired. There was a lag in hiring 20-30 years back and the age gap shows. However, I’m also impressed with the young people we are hiring and I’m delaying retirement just so I can spend a few more years working with these young people and providing what mentoring I can. Also I find it refreshing to work with bright young people.
I like working with younger folks.
1. They move faster than me and that forces me to keep up. That's good for my physical health.
2. Often times they have a better knowledge of new techniques and technologies. I can learn something from them, and that's good for my mental health.
3. I sometimes can teach them something they do not know, or how to navigate our employers system of operation. That's good for both of us.

/ Student Loan Debt? #615  
My son’s college playing career is over. Now he is a HS teacher and just last week began coaching HS lacrosse. The lessons learned in playing a sport is just like an outdoor classroom. You learn teamwork, goal achievement and pushing yourself to do things you never imagined.
Neat thing is, he is teaching/coaching at the high school where he played and he was coached by ME! And I played there many years before!
Pretty cool, huh? :)
Anyway, the players on his team are very excited to have him there. His name hangs from a banner in the gymnasium rafters for all time goals scored in school history.

A phase of life ends, and a new one begins. His principal is really excited to have him as a coach and she will promote him to head coach in a few years.

View attachment 851651

My wife and I are so proud of him. He was a great player in HS, played on national TV in college, and now has “returned home” to begin giving back to his community.
Good job mom and dad. (y)

/ Student Loan Debt? #617  
My son’s college playing career is over. Now he is a HS teacher and just last week began coaching HS lacrosse……..

……..My wife and I are so proud of him. He was a great player in HS, played on national TV in college, and now has “returned home” to begin giving back to his community.

That’s awesome! I can’t think of a way that story could be going better.

/ Student Loan Debt? #619  
I can’t conceive of demand for civil engineers ever reducing. Society needs infrastructure, those are the people that design construction and repairs.
In 10 yrs a civil engineer will just say the the design requirements to a Ai personality that will do the work in .38 of a second;). Maybe, maybe not.