Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #171  
Why is it appealing to borrow a bunch of money to go live at a snotty college, graduate, get a job with so much debt, that you’d make more going to a cheaper college, or just working and taking night time tech/computer classes? Might even get paid for by employer.

One thing everyone forgets is when one goes to college, they lose 4 YEARS of earnings! That could be 100-250K
Depends on the career path and persons commitment to get there.

I still see higher education as a pathway to higher career opportunities. Some doors are closed shut without a college degree. That "snotty" college may be a huge difference maker when it comes down to applicant selection. Especially so if one uses the "network" of people available to turn a favorable reference in.

/ Student Loan Debt? #172  

I still see higher education as a pathway to higher career opportunities. Some doors are closed shut without a college degree. That "snotty" college may be a huge difference maker when it comes down to applicant selection. Especially so if one uses the "network" of people available to turn a favorable reference in.
Not so much with a fairly high percentage of degrees that teach you to be a snot nosed brat…..

/ Student Loan Debt? #173  
And there are the colleges that market themselves to students who want to make it in the music industry when mostly they don't care about degrees, but want to know who you've worked with and if you're actually any good at drawing paying fans.

/ Student Loan Debt? #174  
Not so much with a fairly high percentage of degrees that teach you to be a snot nosed brat…..
Or an Electrical Engineer, or Doctor, or....

/ Student Loan Debt? #175  
I knew some guys who used to be all Vanderbilt but finally hired a University of Tennessee graduate.

/ Student Loan Debt? #176  

I think you two are saying the same thing, maybe. College absolutely opened doors for me that were previously closed. Around my area, the school you got the degree from doesn't really play into selection. For the biggest part even the type of degree doesn't really matter, as long as it's from an accredited university. I chose the smallest college from the 3 that are available in my town. It's a private Baptist school. I really got a lot from the classes as they were small in size and the program I chose was geared for working adults. All the classes were at night, I worked my normal full time job, ran a lawn service with about 12 weekly yards, and took 12 hours per semester and graduated Summa *** Laude. Had I finished my degree as a kid straight out of high school I have no idea where I would be. I doubt I would be where I am now.

As to the loans... I started back to school married and able to pay my tuition out of pocket. But, ended up divorced mid-way through. I ended up having to take about $20,000 in loans. I got the minimum amount I could, to keep on track without getting too far in debt. For me it was a calculated investment that paid off. I don't agree that others should get saddled with my debt, but you can bet your tail I waited to see if the mass loan forgiveness was going to go through before I paid them off!

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt? #177  
My high school guidance teacher always recommended that students finish their education before having children or other responsibilities that would made it harder to get their degree. If I were hiring employees, I'd give special consideration to someone who had the determination to finish their degree while working to meet their responsibilities.

/ Student Loan Debt?
No regrets graduating because I know plenty where no degree proved a career barrier.

That said my path has not been directly tied to degree…

No one was really hiring new grads when I graduated… it was a real slump and at the time called the worst job market since the Great Depression.