Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #881  
One issue is, I dont think many people will admit they made a mistake taking on the large amounts of debt to get some of these degrees. They are Way too invested, and they will defend to the death the decision, even when you can mathematically prove they aren't seeing any payback numbers.

If you spent $100k to get a degree that pays $35k; we can pretty easily prove you wasted both your time and money; but they won't own up to it.

At the Same time; we have people that will 100% deny that taking on debt to increase your earning ability is always a bad move.

Like so many things; moderation, and also more than one way to get to the same goal.

/ Student Loan Debt? #883  
In my field, most of the employment sites are automated and ask if you have a degree and in what. This is used to put you into the bin if you don't have at least a bachelors.
Sad, but automation doesn't care how well you would do at the job, or how qualified once you click on no bachelors degree.
Why I went back to school to get my BS, the Associates degree was not enough to pass the robot test.

/ Student Loan Debt? #884  
One problem with degrees is everyone has one so it has less meaning and value over all
That's one of my problems with the idea of 'free' college.

Around 1910s, only about 2% of people in the US graduated HS, but nearly the same number graduated college. It was not necessary to complete HS to get most jobs. The learning expectations were much tougher. To finish 8th grade you really needed to know your basics. Now kids 'pass' 8th grade even if they cannot read or do basic math.

We could have a rigorous k-8 program focused exclusively on core academic subjects. 9-12 could use something similar to the German system where you slot into schoola that prepare you for, essentially, trade school, university, or something akin to Jr college depending upon which type of 9-12 school you completed. If you don't graduate from the college prep program, you cannot go directly into university.

/ Student Loan Debt?
Two incomes allowed us to do a heck of a lot more than if we were single.
The synergy that comes with shared goals and an example of the whole being greater than the individual pieces.

The flip side is individual focus and determination can accomplish much when unleashed.

/ Student Loan Debt? #886  
Maybe the solution to all of our problems is just a requirement that no more than X number of people can live in any given acre. No more densely packed cities. No more need for others to provide for you. 😀
Buy up a big tract of land and sell it off deed restricted to how ever few people wou want. Let us know how many people want to buy land knowing that they cannot legally put more than a pre-determined number of occupants on it.

/ Student Loan Debt? #887  
Buy up a big tract of land and sell it off deed restricted to how ever few people wou want. Let us know how many people want to buy land knowing that they cannot legally put more than a pre-determined number of occupants on it.
Hmm, doesn't all land pretty much gave a zoning that sets a maximum number of residential units per acre? Sure, it might be 1 housing unit per 5 acres, or per 10 acres. or it might be as high as 10+ housing units per acre, but I think pretty much everything has a restriction.

/ Student Loan Debt? #888  
Hmm, doesn't all land pretty much gave a zoning that sets a maximum number of residential units per acre? Sure, it might be 1 housing unit per 5 acres, or per 10 acres. or it might be as high as 10+ housing units per acre, but I think pretty much everything has a restriction.
Many areas are not zoned at all. For example the county I live in there are no building requirements, no zones, no permits. I don't need the .gov permission to do anything on my own land as far as building goes. Go .5 miles down the street and you go into one of the most heavy zoned counties in MO, where everything you do has to be checked on by an inspector of some kind, and you need to pay the .gov for permission (permits) to put up any kind of structure.

Now in that county (IIRC) if you own over 40ac you are exempt from those building codes, but you still need to pay the extortion fee to put up any buildings.

/ Student Loan Debt? #889  
The synergy that comes with shared goals and an example of the whole being greater than the individual pieces.

The flip side is individual focus and determination can accomplish much when unleashed.
We can also buy more donuts, yet I'm the only one that eats them... :unsure:

😛

/ Student Loan Debt? #890  
We looked at a nice house on 7 acres in the country that was deed restricted. Reminds me of an HOA but I'm not sure how a deed restriction can be enforced.
It stayed on the market for about a year and that was in 2017. People like their cows and horses in this area.
Personally I would have liked to have lived there knowing there were things the neighbors cannot do.