Stuck with a hydro

/ Stuck with a hydro #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
If you get stuck in mud with a hydro is it harder to get out than with a gear shift? It seems to me that it would be harder to rock the tractor in order to get momentum working for you, especially when you let off the pedal it is like putting on the brakes. I have a hydro, just haven't had a chance to get it stuck yet.

JJ

/ Stuck with a hydro #2  
If you get stuck in mud with a hydro is it harder to get out than with a gear shift? It seems to me that it would be harder to rock the tractor in order to get momentum working for you, especially when you let off the pedal it is like putting on the brakes. I have a hydro, just haven't had a chance to get it stuck yet.

JJ
Don't think that makes much difference.

/ Stuck with a hydro #3  
With a hydro, you have complete control of the amount of torque to the wheels because of the ability to ease into any gear ratio with the pedal. You just press on the pedal until the tractor moves or the wheels spin. Differential lock and 4wd are really strong allies whether you have a hydro or gear tractor. The best thing to use is that bucket out front to aid in pushing or pulling. I can't tell you how many times I've used the bucket to get myself out of a "sticky" situation.

/ Stuck with a hydro #5  
I"ve gotten mine stuck in a middle of a small pond and Jinman is right, the bucket gets you out of those situations.

/ Stuck with a hydro #6  
You are missing one of the greatest senses of accomplishment in life. When you get it out.

/ Stuck with a hydro #7  
It seems to me that it would be harder to rock the tractor in order to get momentum working for you, especially when you let off the pedal it is like putting on the brakes.

JJ

I can't image getting a tractor to "rock" when stuck in the mud with any transmission.

Andy

Last edited:
   / Stuck with a hydro #8  
why in heavens name would you get a tractor stuck anyhow? :rolleyes:.... If you keep it on the pavement and out of the ditches you shouldn't have to worry about it.:rolleyes:.....uhhhh.... no I've never stuck mine .:eek:...uhhhh.....sure I keep it on pavement.;):D....uhhhh. (ain't it fun playin in the dirt?!)

/ Stuck with a hydro #9  
You are missing one of the greatest senses of accomplishment in life. When you get it out.
I'm glad I don't know what I'm missing.
I can't image getting a tractor to "rock" when stuck in the mud with any transmission.

Andy
Me neither.
why in heavens name would you get a tractor stuck anyhow? :rolleyes:.... If you keep it on the pavement and out of the ditches you shouldn't have to worry about it.:rolleyes:.....uhhhh.... no I've never stuck mine .:eek:...uhhhh.....sure I keep it on pavement.;):D....uhhhh. (ain't it fun playin in the dirt?!)
I've had it off the pavement and in the mud an still can't get it stuck:D

/ Stuck with a hydro
I know if it will still wiggle it ain't stuck. I have had my Ford 3600 2 wheel drive stuck more times than I want to think about. In thicker mud I could get it rocking and sometimes get it out. I was thinking of taking the loader off my four wheel drive hydro tractor for in the woods to shorten it up a little, but think I might risk getting stuck and no way to push out. I have the R-4 tires, they say the traction isn't as good as ag tires but they float better and don't tear up as much ground.

JJ