Stuck clutch

/ Stuck clutch #1  

bcinlittleaxe

Tractor
mahindra 4500
I have a 4500 2wd that the clutch is stuck on, it's done this before after it sat for a while, but I was always able to get it unstuck by starting it in gear and hitting the breaks, but this time it sat for 2 weeks and stuck again, and so far everything I've tried hasn't been successful, anyone have any ideas, because I really don't want to have to replace the clutch and pressure plate if I can get away from it

/ Stuck clutch #2  
Couple of ways actually and I'm hesitant to post them because I always get flak about doing it but I will for your benefit..

1. Chain the tractor to a stout tree, put in in reverse in a low gear and back up giving it some throttle WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL DEPRESSED FULLY and when you get to the end of the chain, it will break loose.

2. Use a stout tree and drive the tractor forward WITH THE CLUTCH PEDAL DEPRESSED FULLY in low gear and when the front contacts the tree, it will break loose as well.

3. Split the tractor and replace the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel...

I've used 1 and 2 in the past but you do have to be cautious about doing it as it will jerk pretty hard and it might take a couple tries.

Cover the chain with a tarp or heavy blanket when pulling on it so if it snaps, it don't durn into a flying object and use a heavy chain like a grade 80 transport chain and wrap the tree trunk with something like burlap so it don't damage the bark.

Like I said, done it in the past with excellent results.

What you need to do to prevent that is you need to block the clutch pedal down when parking it with a block of wood or something appropriate that will keep the clutch disengaged when parked.

Many units come with a welded on hook assembly just for that purpose, some don't however.

Have fun and above all, be careful.

/ Stuck clutch
I tried running it into a tree with no luck, the only thing I succeeded in doing since it's a 2wd with directional tires, was getting it stuck, because I couldn't shut it down soon enough and it dug itself down, I'll try chaining it to a tree in a day or two as soon as it stops raining, thank you for your response and tips

/ Stuck clutch #4  
When I bought my Yanmar YM2310 the clutch was stuck. The guy who sold it to me said it had been parked two years outside in the weather. I live about 3 miles from where it was parked. The Yanmar tractor has the Power Shift transmission which means it can be put in gear without the clutch because it has two transmissions. Anyway, I put the main transmission in 4th gear and the secondary transmission in neutral. I started the tractor and put the Power Shift in 1st. As I got the tractor moving I put the secondary, or Power Shift, transmission in top gear and then set the throttle to as fast as the engine would go. I stepped on the clutch and drove the tractor this way, mostly uphill, the 3 miles to my place. About 1/4 mile before I got home the clutch started to slip a bit. Over the next couple of weeks my son and I stepped on the clutch many, many times while driving the tractor around. Whenever we used the tractor we kept the clutch pedal down. This treatment freed the clutch up and now it works perfectly. Even though it took some time to free the clutch completely our process was certainly better than splitting the tractor. BTW, my tractor has a lever that slips over the clutch pedal, keeping it depressed. This lever is supposed to be used whenever the tractor will be idle for some time. Surely your tractor also has a similar lever.
Eric

/ Stuck clutch #5  
Check to see if you have any clutch adjustment left. It may be that you have a little adjustment to try.

I was having troubles with the clutch on my Ford, and did some rototilling with the clutch depressed. Eventually it broke free.

But, eventually it has seized up, and I'm pretty sure I've ground through the pressure plate. So, a new clutch, pressure plate, and throwout is in the future.

However, I found that I can drive the tractor pretty well without the clutch, albeit a little slowly.

I have:
Regular Trans: 1, 2, 3, R
Secondary: Low, Medium, High

So, put both shifters into neutral.
Low engine speed
Shift regular trans into any gear (1-3, or R)
Shift secondary into low (either by hand, or I can reach it with my foot).
Pop out of gear with the regular trans (best if not under load).

/ Stuck clutch #6  
IIRC I used to lock the clutch down in reverse and pulling a truck backwards.

Could be a bad throw-out bearing

/ Stuck clutch #7  
Always been able to free up by driving... sometimes a lot of driving.

Some clutch pedals have a pin to hold the pedal down when not used and for others I use a block of wood which also works

/ Stuck clutch #8  
I am having a hard time believing a clutch could be stuck that bad after sitting just 2 weeks. Are you sure the linkage is still intact?

/ Stuck clutch
I am having a hard time believing a clutch could be stuck that bad after sitting just 2 weeks. Are you sure the linkage is still intact?
It's still intact, when I step on the clutch I can feel the pressure when the throw out bearing pushes in the pressure plate

/ Stuck clutch
Always been able to free up by driving... sometimes a lot of driving.

Some clutch pedals have a pin to hold the pedal down when not used and for others I use a block of wood which also works
Mine doesn't have a pin, so I'll have to make a block for it