stuck 6068jd

/ stuck 6068jd #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I have ran across a 6068jd engine, only 150hrs on meter. engine I think came out of Katrina, but not certain. Anyways, the engine had the injector pump stolen and has set inside a open shed for several years. I tried to turn it over using a 4ft bar, but it didnt budge. Right now the engine is considered junk, but I thought I might give it a go trying to unstick it. Without tearing it down, any suggestions on how to go about it. The engine does not have any water in the oil pan and the water mark doesnt go up to the dip stick, So its a maybe at best. I dont mind spending a little time fooling with it to see if it will unstick, but I aint going to tear it down and spend the money to rebuild. I have access to a loaner injector pump to try and get it running, but at $1900 for a new pump. I dont want to spend any money until I know it will run.

/ stuck 6068jd #2  
Pull the injectors and add penetrating oil and let it soak

/ stuck 6068jd #3  
I like PB Blaster for penetrating oil Lots and let set for a few days.

/ stuck 6068jd
i plan on removing the injectors and adding penetrating oil. I figure if it will turn over, it should crank. Anything else I should check that might be stuck, besides the pistons. .

/ stuck 6068jd #5  
i plan on removing the injectors and adding penetrating oil. I figure if it will turn over, it should crank. Anything else I should check that might be stuck, besides the pistons. .

you might want to pop the valve cover and check the rockers and the valves.

/ stuck 6068jd #6  

you might want to pop the valve cover and check the rockers and the valves.

/ stuck 6068jd
Not a bad ideal. Another concern is the injectors themselfs. Loose injector lines, They could all be stuck. My concern is this motor came out of the Katrina Storm. Even tho I dont think any salt water got into the engine compartment, Salt water can do a ton of corrosion in a short time. If someone had not of stolen the injector pump, the engine would probably be in service with little issues. Setting several years after exposure to salt water makes it a huge risk. One reason I dont want to spend any money on it until I know it will at least turn over. I can buy it for scrap and might do so anyways, even if I cant get it to turn over. It is complete (minus injector pump) and I can probably ebay enough parts to make a profit. Still, I need a 190hp engine for a project, so if I can get it to run its worth fiddeling with.

/ stuck 6068jd #8  
You might try a 50/50 mix of Acetone & auto trans fluid in lieu of penetrating oil. Another possibility besides a stuck pistons are galled rod &/or main brgs.

/ stuck 6068jd
I have used the acetone/transmission fluid before with decent success. I dont think I will have any galling on the mains and rod bearing. The engine is full of oil and shows no signs of water. Plus it only has 150hrs on it and hasnt ran since Katrina. Scarring of the cyl bores and pistion skirts are a distinct possibility if the rings are stuck and the bores are rusty. I have had stuck engines, once broken loose, consume large quantities of oil , blowing blue smoke and even running excess oil out the exhaust, for the first few minutes once cranked. In every instance tho, the smoke stopped and the oil stopped running out of the exhaust pretty quickly. Without pulling the head, there is really no way of knowing just how much rust is in the bores, surface rust isnt a big problem, Run it for a little bit and change the oil and its usually fine. Crusted rust is a whole new ball game. Pitted bores, broken rings, stuck valves that get bent when struck by the pistions. Lots of possible uh-o's. I might try borrowing a bore scope to look inside once I pull the injectors. Not sure if on this engine the injector ports go stright into the cylinder bores or not. They might be offset and not allow penetration into the cylinders. Think i will google this possibility right now.