String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I need a string trimmer / brushcutter. I would like to have a straight shaft, shoulder strap and two handle one like the one I used working for state park 15 years ago. I started looking and the choice now is daunting. If anyone has any input on choices or 2 or 4 cycle, engine size/output, string trimmer head design, safety guards, durability, cost etc. I would welcome it. (I hope this is the right place to post this.) Thanks in advance.

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #2  
Try a Stihl FS90 with the bicycle handlebars. Will run you about $330. Stihl and Echo are considered the brands to buy for quality.

Check out this thread for a lengthy discussion on this topic.

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #3  
I have a Stihl FS250 with the "bike handle" type grip. It uses either a simple harness you loop over your neck, or a whole vest type harness to support it. It's very powerful, I can't recall being able to bog it down at all. It features a 2 stroke engine, a real gearbox at the end of the solid drive shaft, and a straight driveshaft. It is a bit expensive, roughly $700 I think, but it should easily be the last one you'll ever need to buy. The only downside is it wants premium fuel due to being a high compression engine to help combat detonation you might get with a lower grade of fuel. It's more important in hot weather than mild weather... It's about the only downside I could find, except being 6'5" and could use the shaft maybe a few inches longer so I can reach the ground with it easier (although it's also a problem with everything else I've looked at)...

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #4  
I bought a Stihl 12 years ago. I think it's a FS 76. All I can say is it's a workhorse and still runs great. When I moved here, there was 10' of brush around the lake on the property. With the saw blade on it, I removed it all. I have put many hours on it and have never had to take it in and have anything done to it. I think I paid almost $400, if I can remember that far back.

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #5  
Husky, many models to choose from . Great trimmer

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #6  
I gotta add that the line on a trimmer makes a world of difference. The new 4 square or triangle line will cut grassy brush better than a blade. If you new to cut woody brush and saplings then a blade will be required.

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #7  
I really like my FS 130 (handlebar and full harness) with both an AutoCut string trimmer attachment and a chisel tooth circular saw blade. It can really take down 2" saplings with the blade as well as grass with the trimmer. Jay

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #8  
I have an FS 80 or 85 that is about 10 years old. Its basicly retired though that this point as a brush cutter. It works but it would just wear me out. If you really are going to be doing brush cutting I would look at the higher end brushcutters. I also spent alot of money on saw blades...

I bought a DR Mower 18 months ago. IT will also wear my A...s off but I get more work done in a shorter period of time. My back is not so good anymore and the DR can really put a hurt'n on me but its light years better than the handheld brush cutter. The DR runs a generator and mows the lawn. :D

So if you are going to be doing lots of brush cutting you might want to consider the DR.

Later,
Dan

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #9  
Of course, I'm back in town where most of my trimmer work is relatively light grass and weeds and I use my Stihl FS55RC string trimmer as an edger, also. When I lived down in the country, I had a bigger, heavier duty Stihl and had the saw blade for it. It worked quite well. But then I had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and the doctor recommended avoiding things, such as string trimmers and chain saws, as much as possible. So I sold the Stihl to one of my brothers and bought the top of the line electric start DR string trimmer and their "beaver blade". Those things are expensive, but in my opinion, if you have very much to do, the DR sure made it easier. And besides that, my wife has never used a conventional string trimmer, but she would use the DR.;)

/ String Trimmer/ Brushcutter Recommendations #10  
Kind of on topic. I need to cut Red Cedar scrub soon (about 75 or so, all about 1 to 3" at ground level); I was going to use an old chain saw and some old chains, but now you've got me thinking. I need a stronger trimmer anyway.

Would one of the bigger Stihls with a blade cut the Cedars at ground level without buggering up the blade? Sure would be easier than bending over with the saw.