Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #181  
Health care is a much different situation than most manufacturing due to the massive involvement of the federal government and the large involvement of state governments in healthcare. The employers are often multibillion dollar multi-state duopolies, and the Medicare rules have pretty much pushed any independents out of business. The state certificates of need laws actually do keep new players out. The hospital systems have a large number of employees with specific and often very expensive training that is only useful when working in healthcare. The employers thus have pretty much all of the negotiating power as all the employees can do is either agree to demands or quit, and if they quit, it is going to be essentially the same elsewhere (due to the federal government's involvement) so quitting really means quitting for good. They either leave the field and end up with completely worthless training or retire if they can.

The main underlying issues causing people to quit in healthcare are chronic understaffing, poor pay, poor treatment by patients, and poor treatment by administration. This is not new and has been an issue causing shortages of staff ever since the forced consolidation of local hospitals and independent practices into large hospital systems in the late 1990s. It got worse in the early 2010s with many new CMS regs and a frozen payment schedule pretty much finishing off the independents. These issues have all gotten worse in the last two years due to the coronavirus. The first thing hospital systems did when patient numbers briefly dipped for two months in April and May 2020 were to cut staff (either fire them outright, lay them off, or cut hours) and cut benefits. The patient numbers more than rebounded last summer and have been very high since, and little to no staff have been hired to replace ones that were fired or quit, and pay/benefits for staff haven't budged for anything except absolute entry-level positions. Patients have gotten much more unruly for whatever reason or reasons and the hospital systems won't do much to protect their employees from this or back them up "because it's bad PR, the customer is always right." Add in the hassles of the coronavirus politics and mandates (particularly their employer twisting the school board's arms regarding restrictions and mandates for the schools their kids attend), and it adds up to too much for many and they quit. Apart from the VA, there is essentially no unionization of healthcare workers in this region so it's all individuals walking out and quitting and not an organized strike.
Yes, a lot of the issues are not due to what the media shows on the surface. Gov't overstepping mandates it usually the hidden problem. Why isn't the media interviewing the healthcare workers as to why so many refuse the COVID shots. I bet these 'boots on the ground' people are seeing effects that we are not being told. The Feds should not be in the States business. The Feds job is ONLY to protect our borders. Hmm, how's our south border doing? Free for all and with free giveaways that Americans can only dream of. Why are ILLEGALS getting free healthcare when Obamacare more then doubled my premiums?

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #182  
Glad I am getting old so much BULLCHIT going on in the good old USA he said she said unions bad management good.WTF let it go folks life is too short with the current state of affairs(covid, gas prices, inflation) in this country but we continue to beat the piss out of each other.I am also guilty of some of this BS.

Last edited:
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #184  
Wonder how many in the Fortune 100 are run by unions. At a glance...not many. Weird.
Another chit stir with NO CLUE or input.Hard to believe ?

Last edited:
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #185  
Wow. That is the epitome of brain washing. You are incapable of providing
"gratitude" for the job or satisfactory customer service?

Do you really believe what you just wrote about yourself as a person without even exploring other opportunities available?

I'm a little confused at what you're trying to explain exactly, and it's probably my fault. I don't claim to be the smartest or most intelligent. A lot of your posts are informative and I appreciate everyone that contributes in all ways. We're all here to learn.

Whether I'm at work in my union job, or doing something outside that job, I take pride in the work, and customer service I provide as a human being to others. I am a very grateful person in general. I feel like I'm lucky in life. Do the best job you can do and be proud so no one can say you didn't do your best.

I'm not saying all unions are amazing. And I've been screwed over by mine a time or 2. It's life. Nothing is perfect. Whether you are pro union or against unions...I don't look at anyone different. We're all human. As far as I know, and maybe I'm wrong, everyone is just trying to survive and enjoy life to the best of their ability.

There are MANY and COUNTLESS opportunities out there in life for everyone. No one is limited? I for one just don't enjoy thinking about work outside work. It's how I'm wired. Others enjoy the self employed environment and wouldn't change it for the world..I commend those, and do get jealous at times. My significant other is amazing, my life is full of happiness. What more could I ask for for? I wish nothing but success to the kids as they grow and head to college and work.

I veered off tangent... I'm grateful for life.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #186  
Please enlighten us with a good example of when the Union made a positive nufacturing commmuninites,
back in the days when union representation was above 50% and often higher in manufacturing commmuninites, the union served as a surrogate for the community voice. So yeah, when wages went up for the union,they went up for the community. then, as Henry Ford undrstood, a community with more money not only bought more product, but also led to a loyal and productive workforce. Thus, making a difference for the company and consumer. It's imprtant to understand that uniopn wages help set a floor for other laborers in the community, espectially when a large percentatge of the workforce is unionized. Again, this is why employers hate unions and try to convince everyone that a union works against personal interest.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #187  
Employer-provided health care in particular arose because of FDR enacting wage caps during his reign and then not only allowing for employers to not count money paid for employees' health care to be subject to the cap, it was also not subject to income tax. It continues to this day because the tax deductibility remains for health insurance premiums through employer provided insurance but not for self-provided insurance unless you fall below a certain AGI.

Wages today would likely be scarcely different for most people as there are few union shops around. Unless you work in a union shop or in a field where there are a lot of union shops (and thus your nonunion employer would need to compete with union wages to attract employees), unions don't affect your wages.

Nearly all of the rest are current in force due to federal and to a lesser extent state laws and regs, but the initial origin of those laws and regs can be debated.

Unions initially started because you had a small number of (relatively) big employers in an area, sometimes just one, and people could not easily move to other areas. The balance of power was very much in the hands of the employer(s) and as we all know, power WILL be abused. Unions as well as antitrust legislation were the initial response to this. As was noted above, unions had varied effects, some good, some bad, and some indifferent. (The antitrust legislation was widely thought to have been ineffective.) Arguably the automobile did far more to help improve working conditions as with them, employees could very easily vote with their feet and leave an area with poor employers and go elsewhere to work for better ones. I suspect this is why unions really declined after WWII- people could get much of the positives simply by moving and making employers compete for employees, but not having to deal with the associated negatives of a union.
You are ignoring the active measures that large corporations have taken to limit the effectiveness of unions, beginning with the Taft -Hartley bill in 1946

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #188  
Yes, a lot of the issues are not due to what the media shows on the surface. Gov't overstepping mandates it usually the hidden problem. Why isn't the media interviewing the healthcare workers as to why so many refuse the COVID shots. I bet these 'boots on the ground' people are seeing effects that we are not being told. The Feds should not be in the States business. The Feds job is ONLY to protect our borders. Hmm, how's our south border doing? Free for all and with free giveaways that Americans can only dream of. Why are ILLEGALS getting free healthcare when Obamacare more then doubled my premiums?

The answer to your questions above is "politics."

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #189  
That would be Teddy Roosevelt.

Most of the good unions supposedly did are things that are codified in law now. The myth that without unions everything would somehow revert is ludicrous. The bosses have fooled A bunch of people into thinking the only reason they have jobs and safety is because of them. Thing is, a ton of people in RTW states in non union careers are doing just fine. They can actually net raises because they do a good job. Promotions, too. If they don't like something, they can bring it up and work to resolve... or they can move to an even better job.
no union man ever said that.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #190  
As a youth I worked at a family business. I worked in a closed union shop for about five years after some college. Now just over 22 in a profession where a union is actually unlawful, and rightly so. As a student of history I fully support how unions started and their early works (minus the killing and beating of innocent people that were just trying to cross a line to feed their own families). I just feel now the market and oversight are strong enough now that unions have no purpose now other than fleecing the company when things are bad for the employees or fleecing the employees when things are good. They are a self licking ice cream cone we would be better off without or just using them as a "break glass in an emergency" kind of thing.
Speaking of closed shops, did you know that the best men were sent to a new job first and they stayed to the end before going back to the union hall for another job. Guess who were the last to be hired onto a job and the first to be sent back to the hall...the know-it-alls that had more mouth than fortitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.