Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #11  
It is how things are being seen. Main employee gets big raise and a big bonus. They are working 3 out of 4 weekends. Company did not plan for this much sales and are trying to catch up. They are getting a increase in pay, but will pay more health insurance. That is 20% more, but no dollar amount put on it. I am sure that there are more items. The union bosses thinks the offer is good. They don't want to lose their pay during strike. More jobs to Mexico.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #12  
They had no C.O.L.A. in the previous contract so they should get a bump in pay to make that up.
That was the only contract since the 60's that didn't have COLA.

Was the Union just asleep at the wheel on COLA during the last negotiation - or, did they trade COLA for higher pensions or 401k match or some other financial perk?

I have a hard time believing the UAW is stupid.

MoKelly

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #13  
Was the Union just asleep at the wheel on COLA during the last negotiation - or, did they trade COLA for higher pensions or 401k match or some other financial perk?

I have a hard time believing the UAW is stupid.

MoKelly
I can't answer your question, I left Deere in 2005. But COLA is a valuable benefit so I doubt if it was "traded".
And I believe you are correct, the people from the international union doing the negotiating are not stupid.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #14  
We have no idea if the workers agreed to concessions back several years ago either. Now that times are better, maybe they are getting back what they lost. WE DON"T KNOW.

Is making a product a team effort or is it only the people in the board room that are making tractors?

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #15  
We have no idea if the workers agreed to concessions back several years ago either. Now that times are better, maybe they are getting back what they lost. WE DON"T KNOW.

Is making a product a team effort or is it only the people in the board room that are making tractors?

It’s the people who put up the capital. The investors. The investors elect the Board.

Everyone works for the investors.

Pretty simple.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #16  
We have had companies bought out by private equity firms as an "investment" and most times, it doesn't end well.

Maybe it is better to work for the consumer. Without them, you are toast.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #17  
We have had companies bought out by private equity firms as an "investment" and most times, it doesn't end well.

Maybe it is better to work for the consumer. Without them, you are toast.
Deere has been a publicly traded company for "a while now". Seems to be working out for the stockholders AND customers.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #18  
The thing unions, particularly ones such as UAW seem to forget is that the company could fire every single employee and they'd be lining up to take the same job back for less. For what is essentially unskilled labor, their pay and benefits are far, far above what can be expected anywhere else.

And for those who are going to get bent out of shape about this, think for a minute. Would you rather work at Deere or at a restaurant?
And one of those jobs pays about double what the other does.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #19  
The thing unions, particularly ones such as UAW seem to forget is that the company could fire every single employee and they'd be lining up to take the same job back for less. For what is essentially unskilled labor, their pay and benefits are far, far above what can be expected anywhere else.

And for those who are going to get bent out of shape about this, think for a minute. Would you rather work at Deere or at a restaurant?
And one of those jobs pays about double what the other does.
They already make $60K a year plus benefits to be a human robot.

/ Strike at Deere plants in the US, more supply chain shortage to come #20  
In 2005, a forklift operator hired before 1997 was paid about $19.25 an hour.

Today, a forklift operator hired after 1997 is paid about $19.25.

That's just one example of the 2 tiered wage system that was implemented in 1997.

Nobody wins in a strike but sometimes you just have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.