Strange things found in the forest

/ Strange things found in the forest #451  
Still likely to be the same thing. The time was when men would go into the woods at about this time of year, and not come out until after the spring log drive. Then they'd go to Bangor and blow six month's wages in a week.
daaaaang

/ Strange things found in the forest #452  
I've seen those insulators used for electric fence wire too.

/ Strange things found in the forest #453  
Shortly after we bought our property and for a few years thereafter, I'd find reflective thumbtacks stuck in my trees about head height. Dozens of them. I finally figured out it was hunters putting them up to guide them to their deer stands with a flashlight before dawn. I pulled any of them that I saw, along with the deer stands each fall.

/ Strange things found in the forest #454  
Strange things found in the forest....

A Studebaker Hawk.

/ Strange things found in the forest #455  
About 70 yrs ago, my dad and I were walking in the woods and he showed me where two holes about five or six feet across were in the ground. I don't remember where they are, I just remember throwing big rocks in the hole and never a sound of them hitting anything. Wish we had explored with ropes but was too chicken to try it.
I am very skeptical on the fact that the rock didn't hit anything due to the so-called easterly deviation initially pointed out by Isaac newton ... I am thinking it's not that deep and there was mud at the bottom and it suppressed the sound ...

This is a interesting phenomenon if you are not aware of it ... ''If an object let's say a throwing dart to avoid arguments around air dynamic and frictions is drop in a very deep shaft it will always hit the east wall due to diurnal rotation of the earth on its axis. Because of this earth rotation a body dropped from a fixed position will always deviate eastward of the vertical along which it would otherwise fallen. It might seem at first thought as if the body should depart from the vertical to the westward rather than to the eastward since the earth rotates in the latter direction. However, the so-called fixed position is fixed only with reference to the earth’s surface, and the object before release partakes of the same motion, and has the same velocity, as all other “fixed” objects in its neighborhood. Were it at the equator this speed would be say thousand miles per hour. The speed grown less toward the poles, where it becomes nothing. In fact the object is traveling in the circumference of the circle of latitude in which it happens to lie. Points beneath it have a speed which is smaller as the (sic) lie nearer the axis of rotation. The freely falling body retains the eastward speed with which it started, and so gains on the slower moving parts of the earth which it is approaching. It, therefore, moves eastward from the vertical in which its fall began.''

/ Strange things found in the forest #456  
A couple of years ago we bought 300 wooded acres in West TN. I was walking it shortly after purchase and ran across this section of pallet racking set up as a deer stand. It is at least half a mile from the nearest trail or road. Wouldn't want to be the guy that horsed those uprights through the woods.

1668447740984.png

/ Strange things found in the forest #459  
Strange things found in the forest....

A Studebaker Hawk.
I had the hots for one of them back in 1956 Even signed up for one at the dealer but they turned me down on financing. Not surprising. My pay as an Airman 2nd class was around $100 a month.

/ Strange things found in the forest #460  
I am very skeptical on the fact that the rock didn't hit anything due to the so-called easterly deviation initially pointed out by Isaac newton ... I am thinking it's not that deep and there was mud at the bottom and it suppressed the sound ...

This is a interesting phenomenon if you are not aware of it ... ''If an object let's say a throwing dart to avoid arguments around air dynamic and frictions is drop in a very deep shaft it will always hit the east wall due to diurnal rotation of the earth on its axis. Because of this earth rotation a body dropped from a fixed position will always deviate eastward of the vertical along which it would otherwise fallen. It might seem at first thought as if the body should depart from the vertical to the westward rather than to the eastward since the earth rotates in the latter direction. However, the so-called fixed position is fixed only with reference to the earth’s surface, and the object before release partakes of the same motion, and has the same velocity, as all other “fixed” objects in its neighborhood. Were it at the equator this speed would be say thousand miles per hour. The speed grown less toward the poles, where it becomes nothing. In fact the object is traveling in the circumference of the circle of latitude in which it happens to lie. Points beneath it have a speed which is smaller as the (sic) lie nearer the axis of rotation. The freely falling body retains the eastward speed with which it started, and so gains on the slower moving parts of the earth which it is approaching. It, therefore, moves eastward from the vertical in which its fall began.''

Thanks for the explanation. I had thought it would go straight down due to the speed it is moving eastwards.