Strange night last night...

/ Strange night last night... #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Our closest neighbors we're good friends with, they're about our age, 1-2 years younger. We're 68,66...they're 66,64. We're invited over yesterday early evening coffee/cake...we bring a gift.
Husband shows me his latest gun he just bought added to his collection, pump sawed off shotgun loaded by bed.
About 10:45 our phone rings...it's his wife "Emergency! Guys here yelling, beating on door!". In 3 minutes I'm running over with a 12 ga + Glock 9+bright flashlight +cell phone.
Nothing...no sound...I walk all around their house, light up & down our road...nothing.
Then police arrive (they happened to be in area).
We check everything...nothing. They said they would patrol area.
Her husband calls, he heard it also. We've been here 40 years...they're reputable people. He said they heard the loud talking, couldn't make out the words.
This to me is what's weird. The husband collects guns. Why didn't he go out immediately. House has 4 doors...I would have gone out a back door and around. They have alarm system + floodlights everywhere.
Our place is dark. About midnight I went around once more in camo...quietly...just the 9mm. Walked all around our place, their place.-----nothing-----.
I'm trying to make sense of it. I would have thought husband would be first out (why collect guns? He doesn't hunt).
Anyone experience anything like this? It just doesn't make sense to me.

/ Strange night last night... #2  
Sounds odd. Was something in the baked goods? Lol

/ Strange night last night... #3  
A point perhaps - just because you collect guns doesn't mean you want to be brave/foolhearty and leave the safety of your house.

/ Strange night last night... #4  
Strange.

Only they know, but perhaps the husband was pranking his wife, things got out of hand, she called you and 911. At that point he/they were too embarrassed?

Was he with his wife when there was beating on the door? Or did he only hear talking? Where was he? Did they both here multiple voices? Was the place lit up when you got there?

Monday morning quarterbacking here, but.....walking around on their property later in Camouflage with a pistol (w/ police alerted, and them (if actually fearful) seems like a bad idea. People on edge with guns....

/ Strange night last night... #5  
Definitely... Better defensive position is inside the house... Also legal defensive after a shooting... You know castle doctrine.

/ Strange night last night...
Strange.

Only they know, but perhaps the husband was pranking his wife, things got out of hand, she called you and 911. At that point he/they were too embarrassed?

Was he with his wife when there was beating on the door? Or did he only hear talking? Where was he? Did they both here multiple voices? Was the place lit up when you got there?

Monday morning quarterbacking here, but.....walking around on their property later in Camouflage with a pistol (w/ police alerted, and them (if actually fearful) seems like a bad idea. People on edge with guns....
They're not type to prank. Yes...everything lit up, they both heard it, etc.
When I made my last walk around it was on my property...they only have 1 acre. I could walk my place pitch dark no problem, but it was a full moon. Police had gone.
If I had banging, yelling at our door I have enough stuff to hold off a small Army, I ain't skeered .
Never happened in 40 years. It's too weird.

/ Strange night last night... #7  
For sure, hosspuller. They break down the door and enter the house - I will be doing my very best to ensure this is their VERY LAST break-in.

/ Strange night last night... #8  
I guess you feel safe with the "Castle Doctrine". :rolleyes:

I prefer Texas law. Some laws, including simple theft, contain a "night time" provision. "All force necessary, including deadly force, may be used to recover the property". I don't have too many lights on at night. I can see very well in the dark and I sure don't want any lights coming on behind me. If I need light, I carry it or it's on the end of my barrel. A green laser puts out a huge amount of light when it's dark. ;)

I live in a low population county with limited resources. It may take an hour or more for a sheriff deputy to get here--Even on a 911 call. The typical "backup" is the highway patrol.

/ Strange night last night... #9  
Our closest neighbors we're good friends with, they're about our age, 1-2 years younger. We're 68,66...they're 66,64. We're invited over yesterday early evening coffee/cake...we bring a gift.
Husband shows me his latest gun he just bought added to his collection, pump sawed off shotgun loaded by bed.
About 10:45 our phone rings...it's his wife "Emergency! Guys here yelling, beating on door!". In 3 minutes I'm running over with a 12 ga + Glock 9+bright flashlight +cell phone.
Nothing...no sound...I walk all around their house, light up & down our road...nothing.
Then police arrive (they happened to be in area).
We check everything...nothing. They said they would patrol area.
Her husband calls, he heard it also. We've been here 40 years...they're reputable people. He said they heard the loud talking, couldn't make out the words.
This to me is what's weird. The husband collects guns. Why didn't he go out immediately. House has 4 doors...I would have gone out a back door and around. They have alarm system + floodlights everywhere.
Our place is dark. About midnight I went around once more in camo...quietly...just the 9mm. Walked all around our place, their place.-----nothing-----.
I'm trying to make sense of it. I would have thought husband would be first out (why collect guns? He doesn't hunt).
Anyone experience anything like this? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Almost sounds like the story changed from the way the wife related it to when the husband described it. That can happen to some degree just because it's two different peoples perspective but this seems to be pretty drastic from Yelling and Beating on the door to just hearing loud voices but couldn't make out words.

Not sure about the Va "Castle Doctrine" but in Texas it applies primarily to you on your own premises or property.

It would be very unfortunate to surprise someones drunk relatives and maybe even get into a gunfight with them while the neighbors who called you are cowered in the safety of their bedroom.