Storing Tractor Implements

/ Storing Tractor Implements #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
Like many tractor owners, I have slowly been collecting a number of implements. Bucket, forks, man lift cage and plow up front and tiller, snowblower, bush hog and chipper on back. Wanting to keep them out of the elements, but not having a ton of extra floor space, I decided to go vertical. I picked up a 12’ x 12’ pallet rack with 3 shelves on Craigslist for $700 and mounted it to the frame of my new pole barn with lag screws. I picked up heavy duty plastic pallets on CL for $20 each and strap each implement to a pallet and then use the forks to place the pallet on a shelf. Each shelf is rated for 5000 lbs, and in reality each one will hold 1500 or less. Pretty happy with how it all works. Only my bush hog won’t fit, so it will stay outside for now.

Anyone have any additional suggestions?

46dd4835-07a7-4351-95a7-9da9c468179b.jpg

IMG_2648.JPG

/ Storing Tractor Implements #2  
That is a slick set-up boylerman. Some of my implements are under the shop lean-too, some parked in a line out in the weather.

When I get around to finishing the machinery shed, I just might 'build-in' implement storage like that

Price of lumber right now I can wait...

/ Storing Tractor Implements #3  
I picked up a 12’ x 12’ pallet rack with 3 shelves on Craigslist for $700 and mounted it to the frame of my new pole barn with lag screws. Only my bush hog won’t fit, so it will stay outside for now.

Anyone have any additional suggestions?

^ Snip ^
I thought you would never ask. ;)
Pull rack away from rear wall enough to alow impliments to hang over and prevent accidently hitting wall while moving things around. That wil alow rotating long,narrow impliments. If you are concerned with stability,run a 2x4 from top of rack to building frame. Move man cage to vacant spot on top and bucket from floor to where cage was. Park the hog on floor where bucket is now. If hog must live outdoors,clean top and underneath deck and "prop"deck upright aginst a post so water doesn't stand on deck and reduce condensation on underside. Overall you did a nice job. 👍

/ Storing Tractor Implements
Thank Jaxs. The chipper will be going on the top shelf, its on the ground right now because I still have to assemble it - adding the intake chute extension on the side and the exit chute on top. With the exit chute in place, it will be too tall to fit on the other shelves. I do like the suggestion on giving a little extra space as I have been wondering how long before I puncture the wall with the forks!

/ Storing Tractor Implements #5  
Make sure you clean every nook and cranny of your equipment that has been outside. Mice will love the new pole barn home after you move them indoors.

/ Storing Tractor Implements #7  
Pretty happy with how it all works. Only my bush hog won’t fit, so it will stay outside for now.
I like it and I am envious. Just left behind a 12x24 implement shed with a hard floor and now in the new place I only have room to park my tractor out of the weather on a rough gravel floor and everything not attached stays outside.
I was surprised to see your building doesn't seem have roof insulation. Where I was in western Washington it was almost mandatory to prevent the roof from sweating on cold mornings. It would rain inside and wet things a bit.

/ Storing Tractor Implements #8  
If you don't plan adding another upright and beams,consider cantilvered arms suspended from upright. Fabing arms is simple if you have a torch and welder. Arms can also be made from angle iron by drilling holes for carriage bolts with heads to fit teardrops in upright.

/ Storing Tractor Implements #9  
What a great set up thanks for posting.

/ Storing Tractor Implements #10  
That’s a spectacular storage system and building. Sturdy rack and pallets. Even though I use pallet forks a lot, tractors are poor forklifts so you know to be careful. I have too much stuff but like storing equipment out of the weather as much as possible. A lot of the equipment is stored just inside sheds or barns meant for animals or hay. Most the tractor can’t fit all the way in.