Storing Gasoline

/ Storing Gasoline #1  

MikeGross

Tractor
Kubota L2500DT
I store diesel for my tractor, but I was thinking of also storing gasoline for our cars. I have a 2000 gallon tank that was previously used for diesel fuel. I am trying to find out what issues I may not be aware of with keeping gasoline. The problems I am currently aware of are:
1) Gasoline is flammable, and
2) Gasoline does not keep over time as well as diesel.

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated. Is it a bad idea to store my own gasoline? Are there some gasoline brands that keep better?

Thanks,
Mike

/ Storing Gasoline #2  
I dont know who governs it but I heard gasolines tanks need to be at least 25ft from buildings and diesel can be inside building. NOT trying to be danger ranger but CYA and check with fire marshall, insurance man, EPA....
to be legal you might have to build a spill containment structure underneath tank that holds twice as much as tank does and put a roof over hole thing.

/ Storing Gasoline #3  
Major issue with storing gasoline is leakage and contamination. You will have to do some serious cleaning to convert the tank, as well as dealing with code and fire safety matters.

The biggest thing to me is the risk from MTBE contamination - stuff polutes water much faster then the old-style gas and has caused a lot of problems. Apparently it doesn't take much at all to ruin the water supply.

/ Storing Gasoline #4  
As far as cleaning the tank prior to using it for gas, I wouldn't think that would be necessary unless it's contaminated with dirt. The trace amount of diesel left in it won't hurt anything; the trucks that haul gas and diesel don't used dedicated compartments.

But you must use a LOT of gas to contemplate using a 2000 gallon tank! At 20 mpg, your car would be worn out before you'd need to fill it again. Storing less than 2000 gallons in that size tank is just inviting condensation problems.

Nothing wrong with storing gas--just use the right size tank. I wouldn't store more than a month's worth. Gas changes formulation a little from winter to summer, and you don't want to be using summer gas in the winter.

edit: Oops--I'd better retract the business about the car being worn out. 20mpg x 2000 gallons is only 40,000 miles. Only a Yugo would be worn out by then.

/ Storing Gasoline #5  
Mike,

Exactly how many gallons of gas did you plan on storing...?

How many gallons of gas do you go through in 6 months?

How much money did you calculate on saving from your storage plan?

Just curious...? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Storing Gasoline
The amount of gas I am planning to store depends on how long the gas will stay "fresh". My incentive for storing gasoline on-site is due to my wife and I currently having long commutes to work (due to the poor performace of the Telecommunications industry that we both work in). I estimate we use about 10 gallons per day between our two cars. This comes out to about 250 gallons per month.

I have not calculated how much money we would save. Even if the price was about the same, the time savings of not having to go to the gas station every 3 days would be worth the trouble of maintaining the tank.

-Mike

/ Storing Gasoline #7  
Gas is seasonally blended for use within 30 to 60 days. Summer blend helps prevent vapor lock. Winter blend helps with sub zero vaporization. I drive 80 mile round trip @ day, my wife drives 20 mile round trip, At the most we use a total of 130 gallons per month. I wouldn't want more than a three month supply on hand, so thats only 400 gallons.

Think you might need a smaller tank.