Storage building choices: monitor barn vs. clear span structure

/ Storage building choices: monitor barn vs. clear span structure #21  
You are in for a great adventure. I finished my 30x40 barn last fall. Took a lot longer than I expected, but built it mainly with me and my father in law (who lives with us) with help from family and friends. Very happy with how it turned out, and very proud I did it myself. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

/ Storage building choices: monitor barn vs. clear span structure #22  
I realize that you're looking to span 45' and want a clear span, but I don't understand why you've decided that you have to have posts inside your building. Have you talked to truss manufacturers? They have engineers and can do a clear span with wooden trusses over some very long spans. It's also not unusual to combine steel beams with wooden construction. I had a 2 story all steel building with a floor load rating of 125psf (house bedrooms are 30 psf) and they had a 40' clear span. I also had wooden floor trusses rated to 100 psf although that was only 24' clear span. It depends on how stiff you want the floor and how much height for the truss is available, but they should be able to span the 45', or at least only have posts on one side and clear span of 35' on the other.

P.S. I found that the truss manufacturers can build the trusses and deliver them on-site for less than it would have cost me for just the lumber.

/ Storage building choices: monitor barn vs. clear span structure #23  
The per square foot cost of a Clearspan Truss arch building is about 1/4th of the cost of any other building and here in Michigan a Clearspan Truss arch is not a taxable structure under current Michigan property tax rules, why I have one. Mine is 16 feet to the center top, 47 feet wide and 90 feet long and my wife and I erected it ourselves with the help of one of my front end loaders. Been up 15 years with ZERO issues. Has one solid end with a man door and the other end has a 14 foot high roll up door and a man door. I park all my farm equipment in it as well as my tractor trailer. Only part I needed help with was putting the cover on. Got the guys from work and a couple cases of beer and went smooth as pie. I erected mine on an engineered sand pad with a retaining wall on one side as the grade slopes. Snow slides right off and it's uneffected by the wind. I used screw in earth anchors every 8 feet in holes I bored into the pad and filled with bagged concrete.

Took us about 3 months total. Very nice building. Nice part is no property tax assessment on it.

/ Storage building choices: monitor barn vs. clear span structure
I realize that you're looking to span 45' and want a clear span, but I don't understand why you've decided that you have to have posts inside your building. Have you talked to truss manufacturers? They have engineers and can do a clear span with wooden trusses over some very long spans. It's also not unusual to combine steel beams with wooden construction. I had a 2 story all steel building with a floor load rating of 125psf (house bedrooms are 30 psf) and they had a 40' clear span. I also had wooden floor trusses rated to 100 psf although that was only 24' clear span. It depends on how stiff you want the floor and how much height for the truss is available, but they should be able to span the 45', or at least only have posts on one side and clear span of 35' on the other.

P.S. I found that the truss manufacturers can build the trusses and deliver them on-site for less than it would have cost me for just the lumber.

A big cost savings in this project: We are milling the lumber ourselves, from trees on our property, with the exception of the posts (6x6x20 UC4B) and skirts (2x6x12 UC4A).

Looked at a bunch of truss designs and talked with a couple of companies that make them. Construction wood product costs are through the roof. Finished construction lumber is selling for four times what it was five years ago. And the backlog is also an issue. Six months or more for small orders in our area. Had one building supplies company telling me the posts were going to be three to four months. Fortunately, found another supplier stating two weeks for the posts.

The boat I need to store will occupy most of one of the three 12' aisles, probably next to a staircase for the upper level, from November to April each year. Because that will only go in or out twice a year, I'll probably store some winter/early spring use tools in front of it, like my log splitter, pressure washer and walk-behind tiller. All stuff on wheels, easily moved.

As long as each aisle has a door, it won't be a big hassle. My goal isn't to have a brightly lit workspace, beautified concrete floor, and spend time in there doing projects. I have other spaces for that type of work/leisure. It's effectly going to be a very large, three car garage. I may build additional side sheds off it for impments at some point, or I made leave one side partly open for easy implement access. Will ponder as I go.

/ Storage building choices: monitor barn vs. clear span structure
Will be documenting the project in this thread: