Stopping re growth of cut brush

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #21  
Any regrowth following stump cuts, hit with a foliar spray. Pretty effective on the young green growth.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #22  
Sprayed cross bow all afternoon yesterday. Neighbor says i'm crazy, he just burns everything. Says, after 4 pm you don't even need a permit.

I'm gonna try to burn a small area and see how that works, probably burn the entire county.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #23  
Have plenty of customers who won’t allow chemical or fire burns. Just keep sending them bills for frequent mowing. It works.
I can turn a woods into a hay field given 1-2 years, a mulcher and a bush hog.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #24  
I'm not sure really what stops re growth but..I bought a piece of land that was logged in dec of 2018. This past june(2021) I trimmed a stump and it promoted regrowth.

Attachments

• 20210621_072117.jpg
    20210621_072117.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 177
   / Stopping re growth of cut brush #25  
When I get to clearing regrowth around our fence lines, I'm going to use strait Round up in a can on a broom stick, painted on the cut ends with a small brush on a broom stick..

I've been told to do this as soon as possible, within no more than a couple hours of the brush being cut so it doesn't have a chance to dry... Also told this method has no or minimal affect on surrounding plants, trees and such...

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #26  
When I get to clearing regrowth around our fence lines, I'm going to use strait Round up in a can on a broom stick, painted on the cut ends with a small brush on a broom stick..

I've been told to do this as soon as possible, within no more than a couple hours of the brush being cut so it doesn't have a chance to dry... Also told this method has no or minimal affect on surrounding plants, trees and such...
i did exactly that with an invasive plant called kudzu, back on the 80s.

i literally cut each stem by hand and dabbed on a bit of something, probably round up.

it worked and didn't take all that long

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #27  
I in the last 2 years have eradicated an invasive plant called Japanese Barberry bush. It is a very hardy hard to kill picker bush that spreads very easily and grows into large clumps up to 7 feet high. I found that cutting it off and immediately spraying the stumps with a 12 oz to the gallon mix of round up was a very effective killer. But as someone stated earlier, you must spray the stumps pretty quickly after cutting.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #28  

We've been doing this with a dauber wand. Not working on autumn olive. Bought some of the Roundup with a bit of trichlorp in it. This is what I had to use on English Ivy.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #29  
If it's small get a grub hoe.

/ Stopping re growth of cut brush #30  
Some debate between roundup and RM43.

RM43 adds imazapyr. Imazapyr is both a pre and post emergent whereas roundup (glyphosate) is strictly post emergent. Thus is why it "lasts longer". There are better chemicals out there that last even longer....but the imazapyr is the most cost effective. ANd it works alot better than glyphosate of woody type vegetation.

Now the "bad" about RM43. Part of why it works so well is that their reccomended mixing is REALLY HOT on the glyphosate side. Their label wants you to mix 6oz per gallon for spot spray.....or 10 QUARTS per acre for field spraying. And at ~$70 per gallon isnt really a cost effective use of Glyphosate with a pinch of imazapyr.

You can buy imazapyr by itself in 52% concentration as opposed to the 0.78% found in the RM43. And you can get a quart of it for $50. Sounds expensive but thats only a buck and a half an ounce. (Even less per ounce if you want a gallon of it) And you would only need to add 2 ounces of it to your favorite jug of generic roundup to "make your own" RM43. A gallon of "generic" is ~$30. So you can esentially make your own for about half the price if you are happy with the results of RM43.

Now back to the use of glyphosate. Roundup or generic glyphosate at a very slightly less 41% concentration us usually only used at 1 or 2 quarts per acre per application or ~1.5-2 ounces per gallon for spot spray. And not to exceed 8 quarts per acre per year. So how the slightly hotter RM43 gets away with 10 quarts per acre in a single application is beyond me. I am sure if you chose to not follow the roundup (or generic equivalent label) and used the stuff at the same 6oz/gallon or 10quarts per acre rate as RM43 then results might be more on par.

Anyway...enough sidetrack. The tordon is specifically made/marketed to be a cut-surface treatment. Meaning it is specifically made for what the OP wants, and is not super expensive either. Its what most landscapers use as well for the same reasons. Some of the other chemicals may also work, but you start getting into a legal grey area when using chemicals not as intended or not mixed and applied in accordance with the labels.