Stopped into Lowes tonight

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
So I dropped into my local Lowes tonight to look for some close out or sale priced laminate flooring. I need about 200 SF for the shop remodel. .. All that went fine but on my way out I couldn't help but notice the store has basically thrown in the towel on the Kobalt brand hand tools. The store was piled high with Craftsman brand boxes, hand tools and other craftsman accessories. I know there is another thread about this here somewhere as well. But here in my area..I think Kobalt will be gone once the current stock is sold off.

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #2  
A friend of mine works at Lowe's, he called me one evening, " They're discontinuing Task Force tools, you can buy the drill, sabre saw, and sander for $20 in a nice canvas bag, do you want me to save one for you?" YES INDEED, I headed right up there to the store...the bag alone would cost that!

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #3  
My brother bought his utility trailer from home Depot a few years ago. I believe that he paid a couple of hundred bucks for what normally would be around $800.

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #4  
When I volunteered at Habitat for Humanity, (Restore) it was an eye opener as to how little this consumer stuff is actually worth (landed cost), having got much of their stuff from Home Depot, returns, and discontinued stuff.

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #5  
So I dropped into my local Lowes tonight to look for some close out or sale priced laminate flooring. I need about 200 SF for the shop remodel. .. All that went fine but on my way out I couldn't help but notice the store has basically thrown in the towel on the Kobalt brand hand tools. The store was piled high with Craftsman brand boxes, hand tools and other craftsman accessories. I know there is another thread about this here somewhere as well. But here in my area..I think Kobalt will be gone once the current stock is sold off.

Sears sold the Craftsman trademark to Stanley. Craftsman has much greater brand recognition than Kobalt.

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #6  
When I volunteered at Habitat for Humanity, (Restore) it was an eye opener as to how little this consumer stuff is actually worth (landed cost), having got much of their stuff from Home Depot, returns, and discontinued stuff.

When I built our cabin, I shopped at Restore but found that their prices are the same as the big box stores and their inventory varies so it wasn't worth the one hour trip each way to see if they had what I needed.

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #7  

Will Lowes Replace Kobalt Tools with Craftsman Products?

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #8  
I dont like the new Craftsmen brand name-but then again they are all going to the dogs. i am a Milwaukee person for the most part but even that brand name isnt like it used to be. its all about marketing now-some are just gimmicks. The Milwaukee M18 actually does hold up to its name but some of the tools are flaky like my Milwaukee M18 Hammer drill-have had it in the shop three times cause the trigger works intermittently. I am a moderate user but now I must pay out of pocket because its 6 years old.
I wonder if its better to just buy a new kit every 6 to 7 years instead of paying the 170 dollar repair charge each time?

/ Stopped into Lowes tonight #9  
Problem is, the 'Cracksman' stuff is most all Chinese. If I want Chinese, I go to HF, it's less expensive. In fact, HF is directly across the road from out local Lowes.