Stinky Water Fixed

/ Stinky Water Fixed #1  

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
I'm on a well with the pump at 440 feet. For some time the water has had a disgusting odor, kind of like rotten eggs. I started thinking about investing in a processing system of some sort. I noted my pressure tanks wouldn't hold pressure. After a period of procrastination I decided to replace them. Even after draining they were holding quite a bit of water. No surprise. With the old tanks in the carport one continued to drain slowly though the other did not. I pressurized and it still wouldn't drain. I removed the air valve THEN it drained. I got a great deal of rusty water in my carport. In the meantime the water is back to tasting like water. There's no smell and no taste. I had thought the aquifer was tainted. I'm happy to learn the problem was closer to home and the fix was cheap when compared to a processing system.

/ Stinky Water Fixed #2  
Glad it was an easy fix for you. Those pressure tanks have air bladders that can develop a leak, usually from either too much air pressure or too much water pressure. When they do leak they can hold relatively stagnant water on the air side that can taint your water on the water side. That is what I am guessing happened to you.
Something that can also cause stinky water in a non-chlorinated well system is a magnesium device somewhere in your water system. Some hot water heaters have a magnesium heating element, which can cause stinky hot water. A cup (or even less) of hydrogen peroxide added just to the heater infeed will cure the odor for a quite a while.

/ Stinky Water Fixed #3  
Pressure tank bladder failure is a pretty common problem.
When mine failed the first time I paid the well outfit to replace it, a year later it failed again so they replaced it under warranty. Couple years later it failed again and warranty was expired so I bought a new tank on sale at Fleet Farm for $89 and installed it myself, 20 years later the on sale pressure tank is still working fine.

/ Stinky Water Fixed #4  
Handy chart...

0285AF17-4F99-483D-A476-758400A8ACC5.jpeg

/ Stinky Water Fixed #6  
Iron eating bacteria are a big problem in parts of MN and they make the water taste like rotten eggs. The northern part of the state is know as the Iron Range for all the iron mining that has been ongoing for decades, so not a big surprise. People assume it is sulfur in the water but it is the result of the iron bacteria.