Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar?

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar?
I do a tremendous amount of brushcutter work with both a FS250 and a FS450 (about 100 gallons of fuel a year). I use the triangle three prong metal blade as well as very heavy duty large diameter line for the vegetation you describe. I use other blades for other vegetation. I like it as the vegetation get removed and somewhat mulched all at the same time.

Since you have been using 2 different metal blades I would presume you are using the bike handle bar version with a full harness. Stihl required that with any metal blade. If you are doing it with a "normal" handle Stihl weed wacker I can only imagine the strain it puts on you. The back and forth you describe I do for hours on end and I am not even close to being young or even middle aged anymore.

The hedge trimmers on a pole I saw on the website were all hand held that I believe would be a very tiring device to use for your purpose. If they made them with a bike handle and harness then I would view it differently. As far a jamming I have no idea but would speculate that coarse grasses would be different from finer blade grasses and that would effect your results.

I haven't tried the 3 prong metal blade yet, but I do use the large diameter X Line...0.110" or something - I'd have to go look. I have the good harness and bike handles. The part that gets me (besides the heat) is when I have to clear my dam. So that would take about 8 - 9 hours, on a very steep incline. With the tall vegetation, I end up pushing around what I cut.

The trimmers on a pole saw have an attachment for a harness, but I agree, I do not see bike handles as an option. I am hoping if the trimmer works as I am hoping - I can just do a nice slower pace walk and really speed things up.

I've used a hedge trimmer to cut weeds numerous times. As long as you are not in a hurry it works just fine. Put on some knee pads and walk on your knees.

Or go to Rural King in Norwalk and get a manual weed whip.

Someone else from Milan! Probably have crossed paths...not a ton of Steiners. The hedge trimmer I was referring to is on a pole, so no bending over required.

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar? #14  
I have one of those except the blade on mine is about 10” long. I found it to be far to much work to pull it through thick weeds. Maybe a 24” long version makes it more worthwhile. The one use I did find it good for was cutting cat tails off under water. I don’t have a big high powdered trimmer and it runs short on power running a blade under water.

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar? #15  

Yes, that may work... as long as it adjusts to to the angle of a Stihl brush-cutter... and at least has an over-shoulder harness.

I use a 'bicycle handle', chest harness Stihl brush cutter with a triple blade for the (bloody) bracken around here. This would probably suit the OP and is readily available.

However, the OP is specifically asking about using a trimmer for that purpose. Hence my answer to his question.

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar? #16  
I've got one of the big Stihl weed whackers - FS400. I've got five different heads for it and have found that any of the three that use "string" are pretty lacking for my uses. The head that uses the three poly blades had possibilities.

I took one of the new poly blades to a local welding shop and they made me six new blades( two sets) out of high carbon steel. Substantial improvement - a far greater rotating mass for superior cutting and after three years there is no noticeable wear on any of the three blades in the first set.

With the shoulder carry harness properly adjusted I'm able to go thru my small field of grass just like a scythe. It lays down just right and cuts cleanly on both forward and reverse swing. Unfortunately - I'm an old fart and this activity does stress my back. I'm only good for this action for about an hour or so - then its time for a little Jack and a little rest.

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar? #17  
I have the Stihk Kombi and bought the adjustable hedge trimmer end for exactly this idea. Being able to walk around my pond and have the grass lay down las opposed to being thrown around and into the pond. I also wanted to be able to "scythe" areas of tall grass and pitch into the field for my donkeys to eat.

Overall, It hasn't worked out as planned. If the grass is relatively thin it works nicely but typically the grass is too thick and the trimmer struggles to get through it so I end up using a lot of muscle power to get the task done - which kinda defeats the purpose of a power tool. The one area it works well for is the parts of my pond edge where I mow within 12-18" of the water and the grass/rushes/weeds aren't to thick and I can just walk along the edge effortlessly - that 150' walk along isn't enough to have justified the cost for me.

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar? #18  
These are the two blades that I use most frequently. The three prong "knife" is great on grasses and other herbaceous vines and woody stems. The other is great on woody stems larger than 2 inches up to 8-10 inches. Beyond 10 inches it is a but much and I switch to a saw. It is really nice for doing PCT but that is not what the OP is trying to do so I won't go into details.

IMG_0272.JPG

/ Stihl Trimmer = Poor Man's Sickle Bar? #19  
I have a Stihl Kombi with multiple heads including a 12(?) inch hedge trimmer head. Just finished trimming fence lines today. The hedge trimmer drags through heavy grass making it tough to use. It is also tough to cut through 1/2 inch or more woody stems. The 3 lobe blade is much easier to use. Its zips through grass and shreds it like a tiny brush hog. It will also cut through 1/2 inch woody stems in one push. The string trimmer head is ok for trimming a lawn but burns through string in heavier brush. I use the 3 lobe blade as its the fastest and easiest to use. Jim

Spoke to the dealer yesterday - Stihl Kombi with the "Power Scythe" attachment, which is designed for what I want and should not tangle up like the hedge trimmer option. Sealed gear box so you can cut cattails under water without issue.

Trying to see if I can get a unit to demo.