Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
I bought the MS201T on a lark, after my MS180 was stolen. It cost a lot ($649?) double of the 180 it replaced. But the power! Even so, I'm not very "satisfied" with my decision.

OK here's the problem. It takes 3 or 4 pulls to start, always. ONLY if I restart within a few seconds will it start on the first pull. If it sits for 5 minutes it takes 3 or 4 pulls, often requiring "choke". The 180 took a couple pulls in the morning, but all the rest of the day it started with just a lazy pull, I'd pull it while picking it up, it's running instantly, then cut and shutdown.

It has noticeably more power than the 180, but when you take into account the starting effort, the extra power does not really help at all, often takes more time & effort. And the fact that I'm inclined to leave it running because of the re-starting.

It's only a couple years old. In the first month I took it back to the dealer, who said nothing was wrong with it. He said thats normal for a high performance saw. Man at that I wish I woulda' bought it on Amazon then & saved $100. Actually wish I woulda bought a 180 again. Kinda bugs me because I bought it based on "internet wisdom of the pros".

Does anybody have a 201 that starts easy? My "280 Super AV" starts first pull, all day long. Would a pro put up with 3-4 pulls and still recommend the saw?

Whenever the tank runs dry (which is often) it gets fresh gas, so rather not discuss gas. I need to know if theres something I can do to fix this. I think the richener screws are limited to 3/4 turn. I understand and can do good work on 2-strokes. I'd like to hear some tricks from someone with direct experience with this MS201 hi-performance saw.

Or if this thing is ----- always ----- going to take 3-4 pulls I need to know that too.

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #2  
I tried to send you a Private message but couldn't. It takes me to and advertisement! ! What good is Private Message if it doesn't work? Can you send me one?

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #3  
Most saws I have ever owned, including Stilhl for the last twenty years, I would consider myself lucky on three or four pulls, not three hundred and then you throw the thing as far as you can into the bush!

My new Makita four strok leaf blower can sit for months and then might well start on the first pull!

It's funny. A friend that raves about his huski saws, puts them on the ground and pulls in really rapid succession, as if I won't be able to count that fast. He easily pulls on them four or five times. These are mostly farm duty saws I am talking about. Like my Stihl 036 saws.

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #4  
I would have to agree--I have a Makita DCS 520i and it always starts cold or hot in One pull rarely Two. I had two and a guy came to look at my Stihl MS390 and bought one of them instead.
Most saws I have ever owned, including Stilhl for the last twenty years, I would consider myself lucky on three or four pulls, not three hundred and then you throw the thing as far as you can into the bush!

My new Makita four strok leaf blower can sit for months and then might well start on the first pull!

It's funny. A friend that raves about his huski saws, puts them on the ground and pulls in really rapid succession, as if I won't be able to count that fast. He easily pulls on them four or five times. These are mostly farm duty saws I am talking about. Like my Stihl 036 saws.

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #5  
I responded to your PM several hours ago, Did you get it?

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #6  
3-4 pulls? I feel your pain.

What else do you have to do? Saw wood? ;-)

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #7  
3-4 pulls? I feel your pain.

What else do you have to do? Saw wood? ;-)

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start
I paid my dues spending a few hundred $ more than was sensible, each extra pull seems like a spank (perhaps deserved).

Done spankin myself,,,,, polling the forum cuz there are members here who "know" stuff and willing to share.
:thumbsup:

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #9  
All my saws take 3 or 4 pulls after sitting between jobs but once their warm up I expect them to start on the first pull. Some saws have a mind of their own and you have to figure out what combination works the best especially older saws. I have a 268 husky xp that started acting up and it took me a few wks. playing with the carb a few yrs. ago to get it just right to start on the 1st pull once warm. I found it more finicky than any older saw I'd owned. Keeping the fuel and air filter clean are essential for performance.

/ Stihl MS201T takes 3 or 4 pulls to start #10  
3 or four pulls? not to sound nasty or rude but whats the big deal? I have 5 Stihl's and they all require that. I have 2 MS660 Mags that will start on 3 pulls most times. My Huskys NEVER, NEVEER started on less than 15 pulls.
3 of my saws date back to 1980 ish with 20,000 plus cord of wood on each, the 2 660's are a 2013 and 2014 with a lot of use on each. I'm very pleased with how they start and perform . . . .John

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

WOODEN FENCE POST BUNDLE (A32908)
WOODEN FENCE POST...
Pallet of Mixed Electrodes & Rods:  E7018, E6010 Approx. 70# Electrodes & E (A33349)
Pallet of Mixed...
STAR FIRE MEF-3 MOBILE EQUIPMENT FLUID (A32908)
STAR FIRE MEF-3...
Challenger 755B Salvage Tractor (A33041)
Challenger 755B...
1992 Ford LTL 9000 Day Cab Road Tractor, 3406 Cat Diesel Engine, 13-Spd. Tr (A33349)
1992 Ford LTL 9000...
Miller Millermatic 175 230V Wire Welder (A33349)
Miller Millermatic...