Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
Here is a video of the MS 441 C M against the MS 660. I think the 441 does so well against the 660 because the of the wood and the 441 turns more RPMs. The 660 has way more power/ torque, you can really dog it in. I added a dual port muffler and tuned the 600 to 13,000 RPM and tested it again. I got better results on the 3rd cut, plus I think my technique improved. The saw felt stronger with dual port muffler and sounds better. You can watch in the video before I added the dual port how much the saw torques when I rev it and then watch after I add the dual port muffler how much it torques. To take full advantage of the 660's power I got a 8 tooth sprocket to try. It hurt the torque of course but the 660 still has more torque with the 8T sprocket than what the 441 does with a 7T.

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #2  
Doing timed cuts you should never dog in, if you have to dog in to load the saw your chain is dull or your rakers are to high. The 660 will pull lower rakers and should spank a 441 in that size wood.. Steve

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video
Doing timed cuts you should never dog in, if you have to dog in to load the saw your chain is dull or your rakers are to high. The 660 will pull lower rakers and should spank a 441 in that size wood.. Steve

My chains are sharpened Stihls specs. The 441's chains has not been sharpened yet. I just recently started messing with saws as a hobby. I know there is a lot to be gained in how the chain is sharpened. I don't want anything that is to aggressive or dulls quickly to use as a work chain. I have not messed with the different angles and raker height on the chain any yet. If the wood is hard the saw will not pull it self thought the wood like will in something soft. I was cutting 18'' oak.

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #4  
I can see the power in the 660, I keep drooling over them. For now my 441 is my big saw and for the majority of the larger wood I cut, it is perfectly sized.

I can see the power in the 660, I keep drooling over them. For now my 441 is my big saw and for the majority of the larger wood I cut, it is perfectly sized.

The 660 has a ton of torque, youu can dog on it real hard. You may want to hold out for a 661 whenever they go back into production. The 441 is capable of cutting anything I need to cut.

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #6  
Different angles don't mean much, raker height does and they need to be taken down after a couple sharpening's, for sure on a saw with a lot of power. Steve

Different angles don't mean much, raker height does and they need to be taken down after a couple sharpening's, for sure on a saw with a lot of power. Steve

I checked the rakers on both saws this morning, they were both right on .025".

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #8  
Set the rakers on the 660at 30 thousands, it has the torque to pull it and will cut faster. steve

Set the rakers on the 660at 30 thousands, it has the torque to pull it and will cut faster. steve

I'm thinking about taking the rakers down a bit. From what I read I think I am best off to stick with the factory angles, think they are the best for all around use.

/ Stihl MS 441 C M vs MS 660 video #10  
You are correct in my view on your thinking regarding about raker height , and angle . It is a trade off when it comes to sharpening i feel , 1) more aggressive = faster cut but possible shorter life span between sharpening or 2) Factory angle and height = slower cut but longer life span between sharpening .

In my other thread here on Full skip , ( I use to run those over 30 years ago after high school working in the woods ) , I recently bought another chain for my 441 , all the dealer had though in my gauge was the full skip , so I said WTH , Why Not . Yes , there is a higher kickback risk , but even cutting in Madrone , a hardwood like oak here in the northwest , It rocks :thumbsup: . If I can figure out how to shoot a video with my wife's camera , I still have a log pile of tree's next to driveway , with several over 18" - 20" in diameter , that it cuts through like there is no tomorrow .

My point there though is , that running full skip = half the number of teeth , Faster cut BUT 1 , just 1 slip up by nicking a rock or other hard surface and chain goes from cutting extremely fast to not cutting worth a SH** in a heart beat .

Fred H.