stick welding tube to plate

/ stick welding tube to plate #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I need to join 2x3" 1/8" wall tube to 1/2" plate. (need to extend tooth bar to fit wider bucket). Using a stick machine, I am assuming I would set the amps cool enough not to burn through the tubing but hot enough to join the 1/2". I would also think to tack up the joinery first. Any tips? Thanks.

Attachments

• Scan 2.jpeg
    Scan 2.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 198
   / stick welding tube to plate #2  
Just keep the heat on the 1/2 plate then you should be ok.

/ stick welding tube to plate #3  
others may join in ...

start the arc on the 1/2 " and weld the thinner stuff to it ... ( more heat on the 1/2" and flow the puddle towards the tubing to prevent burn through ) ...

tacking is always a good thing to reduce warping or bending out of alignment ...

/ stick welding tube to plate #4  
I would go heavier than 1/8" try 1/4". Not only stronger but the burn through is reduced and you can avoid a cold weld joint.

/ stick welding tube to plate #5  
TURN YOUR HEAT UP :eek:...

As an apprentice, I was working with a guy who specialized in steel buildings for oilfield skids. The panels were about 1/8" (10 or 12 gauge)and welded to the thicker checker plate on the skid with 1/8" 7018. I'd never done this type of welding before so the guy(not the nicest but seemed to like me) showed me how to do it. I wasn't used to it so tried to weld the conventional way but had nothing but problems. He got mad and said I don't know how to $#@%& weld...

I turned my heat down around 115 , held the rod at about a 60 deg. angle and even tried whipping the rod slightly to let the puddle cool so I wouldn't burn through. :ashamed:He told me again how to weld it. Turn your heat up to about 150 amps (really hot for 1/8" 7018):shocked:, point your rod almost straight down with the arc about about 1/8" away from the vertical panel and let molten puddle flow over and fuse the panel. Finished weld looked like it was done with an automatic machine!:cloud9:

/ stick welding tube to plate #6  
When ever I get into this situation, I run a J motion. I keep the long part of the J on the thicker material, and just touch the thinner material with the curl of the J. Doesn't matter if it is welding flat, vertical up, or over head. When using 7018 try to keep the movement to a minimum. 6010 or 6011 have at it.

/ stick welding tube to plate
When ever I get into this situation, I run a J motion. I keep the long part of the J on the thicker material, and just touch the thinner material with the curl of the J. Doesn't matter if it is welding flat, vertical up, or over head. When using 7018 try to keep the movement to a minimum. 6010 or 6011 have at it.

Is this method done moving away from you ?

/ stick welding tube to plate
I would go heavier than 1/8" try 1/4". Not only stronger but the burn through is reduced and you can avoid a cold weld joint.

This was actually my first choice but my supplier had to order it. He also said he never ordered 2x3 tube this thick. Would have been nice but wanted to get this done this weekend.