Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Im torn between selling my 2008 F-350 SD diesel and trading it on a somewhat newer truck. If I keep it, which Im now leaning to doing, Id like to remove the old factory OEM am/fm/CD and replace with a unit with AM/FM blue tooth and 2 camera inputs. Want to do a bumper camera for bumper pull camera and a 2nd camera up on the headache rack for flatbed and gooseneck attachment help. my 2020 RAM has all this factory installed and I love it.
Anyone install a newer aftermarket unit like this?
Was it plug and play?
Aside from camera mounting, was it easy?
I do NOT have steering wheel audio buttons.
Any other buying/installing suggestions?
Looking to do on the cheaper side since truck is pretty old.

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #2  
There was a company called Crutchfield that sold a lot of stereo equipment. Try them first. They may not have exactly what you want but it might get you started. I know they sell a lot of the wiring harnesses to let you hook it up.

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #3  
There was a company called Crutchfield that sold a lot of stereo equipment. Try them first. They may not have exactly what you want but it might get you started. I know they sell a lot of the wiring harnesses to let you hook it up.

Yep, Crutchfield is a great source for stuff like this.

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #4  
Did similar upgrade in my 2010 F150 last year primarily for the backup camera but also to get Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Also added a sub-woofer. But, I paid an installer to do it for me. From what I recall you will need the head unit, backup camera with wiring, a wiring adapter to make your steering wheel controls still work, a new face-plate, and i think also an adapter for the head unit wiring too. Love the upgrade as I now have access via the head unit to Spotify, etc., plus navigation through the HU using Android Auto. My truck only has 67K miles and is more of a third vehicle now, so plan on keeping it for years more.

If you install it yourself, check on YouTube videos for some help. I actually had to take the face-plate off as my USB connection to the HU fell behind the dash. Wasn't that hard to remove once I watched a few YT videos. Of course I was not doing a full install, but getting to the guts isn't too bad.

Attachments

• 20201017_114248.jpg
    20201017_114248.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 73
   / Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #5  
Did similar upgrade in my 2010 F150 last year primarily for the backup camera but also to get Apple Car Play and Android Auto. Also added a sub-woofer. But, I paid an installer to do it for me. From what I recall you will need the head unit, backup camera with wiring, a wiring adapter to make your steering wheel controls still work, a new face-plate, and i think also an adapter for the head unit wiring too. Love the upgrade as I now have access via the head unit to Spotify, etc., plus navigation through the HU using Android Auto. My truck only has 67K miles and is more of a third vehicle now, so plan on keeping it for years more.

If you install it yourself, check on YouTube videos for some help. I actually had to take the face-plate off as my USB connection to the HU fell behind the dash. Wasn't that hard to remove once I watched a few YT videos. Of course I was not doing a full install, but getting to the guts isn't too bad.

Is that the final install with everything in place? And that was done by a professional installer?

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #6  
Is that the final install with everything in place? And that was done by a professional installer?

Sort of. I took that pick a few days ago when trying to take the face-plate off. The new face-plate is partially loose and the trim to the left of the face-plate (if you look close) was already removed. I will post a better pic in a bit.

Oops, your last question. Yes, took it to a stereo, etc., installer where I bought all the components with installation.

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #7  
Better pic with everything put back together. Pic looks sideways in preview, but correct when I click on it.

Attachments

• 20201019_131106.jpg
    20201019_131106.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 72
   / Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #8  
That is something else Crutchfield sells is the plastic pieces that fill in any gaps and make it look more factory.

/ Stereo head unit with backup camera in 2008 Ford #9  
Crutchfield's is a great company & they will help you along the way if you are doing a self install. I have dealt with them many times throughout the years... They are not always the cheapest but but they usually include the wiring adapters & install kits required for you installation.... If you are looking for a low budget double din unit that sound good you may want to look at the Boss units, like the Boss BV765BLC, I believe it has two camera inputs. I used to be a big Kenwood Excelon guy but when we need a head unit for our Jeep (not know for their audio quality) we purchased a Boss Double Din w/ nav unit& it has been really good for the price... I believe the unit I listed above is under $180... with all the features you listed.... Again not completion grade stuff but great for the price...

If you purchase via Critchfield's call them they will make sure you have all the adapters to make whatever you purchase pretty plug n' play