Steps for pickup bed access

/ Steps for pickup bed access #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
I'm looking at a side step so I can access stuff that migrates to the middle of my pickup bed. I'm also interested in anyone who has installed a tailgate step.
I saw some up at Cabelas in St Louie yesterday. Bully brand for the side step but I can't remember about the tailgate step.
Discuss.......:D

/ Steps for pickup bed access #2  
I just buy/drive trucks that I can reach over the side of the bed. Which pretty much limits me to older models and El Camino's. If I needed a step to get into the bed, I would sell the truck and get a Tahoe/Excursion and just use a flatbed trailer. Got's me one of them too.

To me, it's just absolutely nuts how high the trucks are these days. Fer Pete's sake, you can see frame rails above the tires inside the wheel well these days. Mama's gotta have that high driving position so she can tailgate better, don'tyaknow.

/ Steps for pickup bed access #3  
I race off road motorcycles and have to load bikes into the bed of my truck. I got a great deal on a stock height F350 with the diesel engine for towing tractors and the RV. Some bozo at Ford decided that the bed height of that pickup should be about 36". Way too high. The bed rails are about chin high so there is no way to even rech into the bed level from outside of the truck.

Loading bikes has become an ordeal. Lowering the truck is actually possible and the first 3-5 inches are very easy. That's how I plan to deal with it.

In the meantime I just climb into the bed like every other american truck owner. I have gotten into the habit of strapping gear against the tailgate though so that I can get to it without climbing into the bed.

/ Steps for pickup bed access #5  
"Steps for pickup bed access"

Use the rear tires as a step?

Tis what me and the kids do. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Steps for pickup bed access #6  
1*I just buy/drive trucks that I can reach over the side of the bed. Which pretty much limits me to older models and El Camino's. If I needed a step to get into the bed, I would sell the truck and get a Tahoe/Excursion and just use a flatbed trailer. Got's me one of them too.
2*To me, it's just absolutely nuts how high the trucks are these days.
3*Fer Pete's sake, you can see frame rails above the tires inside the wheel well these days.
4*Mama's gotta have that high driving position so she can tailgate better, don'tyaknow.

1*Why I have a Toyota Nissan and D 50 pick ups .
2*Agreed absolutely insane.
3*Who wants ta look at the frame rails when you need a truck you can load with yer loader.?!
4* Never mind how bad that screws up getting it loaded with a FEL!

/ Steps for pickup bed access #7  
I bought a fold out step for my pickup

Use the rear tires as a step?

:DI'm sure both of these ideas will work to load a truck with A FEL.
All u gotta do is simply drive the tractor up on the tires or the step and dump the FEL into the truck bed:D

/ Steps for pickup bed access #8  
It is a little different but I keep a aluminum cane (one of my dads old ones) in the bed of my truck to get a hold of stuff and pull it back to tail gate in stead of climbing in.

I do only have a short bed truck and it saves my back and knees.

tom

/ Steps for pickup bed access #9  
I welded up a little square that bolts onto a drop hitch, and use that as the first step into the bed of my Silverado. The new Fords have a neat tailgate step, but the tailgate has to be down, and I think it takes up space in the bed, too. There are fold-up ladders for that, but stepping up on the tires, or on my little step, is all that I've needed, so far.

/ Steps for pickup bed access #10  
Same here, I use my tires but they're 33" tall.

I also keep my ball hitch in to use as a step.