Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #31  
Back in the 70's, a couple of the local short tracks had a 6 cylinder class. They were full on late models (same chassis as the V-8 late models) with I-6's and were pretty quick. Sounded like a bunch of bees buzzing around the track. Several drivers I spoke to said they were fun to drive and were actually a better balanced setup due to less weight over the front.

This was not a real popular class though. It was reported that building an I-6 race engine cost about the same as a V-8 due to less availability of parts and making the longer cranks live.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #32  
Inline six is a good configuration. Since it is a pair of threes end to end, it has perfect primary and secondary balance. V-sixes don't have that and usually need a balance shaft, more complexity, more to go wrong. While a V-8 has a wonderful sound when you prod it, a straight six is a much more civilized engine.

Problem with the straight six is that it is LONG. That's OK for front-to-back mounting, using it sideways in a FWD package is difficult, it is then awkwardly wide, which is why you see fours and V-6's in FWD vehicles.

Mercedes and Audi used a straight five for a while. The MB was a diesel and was reputed to be unkillable, the cars rusted away long before the engine died. Audi used their 2.3 liter straight five in the 80s vintage 5000 series, some of them were turbocharged and AWD, and I think VW still uses it (now 2.5 liters) in some of their vans. Some models of the Audi TT use or used the same 2.5 liter engine with turbocharging, and that makes them most interesting - lots of power, and a very distinctive sound. I had a couple of non-turbo 5000's, nice car, not very fast but lovely to drive. The turbo models were significantly faster and more complex, and Audi has never been noted for doing things simply. The crank throws in a straight five are at 72 degree intervals (72 times five is 360.)

(Incidentally, the Audi 5000 is still being made in China, and is used for government functions, limos, parades, etc. They also make a four cylinder version which is much more basic. I do have the parts catalog, but I don't read Chinese.)

Advantage of the five is that it can be advertised as "more than a four!" and engineering likes it because it is shorter than a six. GM has a five in some pickup trucks, too (Colorado?).

BMW motorcycles used Nickasil cylinder coatings in the 70's and up air cooled twins. The early models had the same problems as discussed, the coating peeled off and failed. That was fixed in later models (I don't know what they changed, but it works now).

That Stellantis engine is interesting, but man, there is sure a lot of plumbing and wiring on it! (I know there's an engine down in there someplace, we just have to keep taking parts off until we find it.) I think the biggest problem with them is given their complexity, Chrysler products' usual appalling depreciation and the rapid advances in EV technology (and dropping costs), in five years those hyper complex engines and the vehicles they are in are going to be uneconomical to repair. I'm seeing five year old Chargers on buy-here-pay-here lots down around a grand . . . friend of mine buys salvage cars at auction, and pays about $300 for one, then he sells the engine and scraps the rest.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
My BMW X5 is a turbo straight six AWD. Very torquey off line and economical.
Now that we have turbocharging for domestic gas engines, it feels like we finally have lots of torque even in small displacement. My 2020 2L Rubicon is really peppy and torquey, too. Climbs slopes like a mountain goat

Last edited:
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #33  
I will never own another truck without turbo(s). I do see some benefits to a V configuration. The long timing chains are eliminated, but not totally as the VVT needs a chain to operate the solenoids.

Coated cylinders have been around for a long time. Hell chainsaws have been running coated cylinders for years. The only problem seems to be when dirt gets past the air filter. Hard silicon in sand will scuff a cylinder and if that coating wears away, the entire block is wasted. They should make a removable cylinder liner, but since cars are made to be consumable now, that little extra expense for the manufacture will not happen.

The concept is there...but as always, proof of concept is hard.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #34  

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 151
I will stick with my hemi until it croaks..

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #35  

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 151
I will stick with my hemi until it croaks..
5030 is rubbing off on you...

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #36  
5030 is rubbing off on you...
Not even close YODA.I don't like bull chitters..Want some more picks. of gassers..God dang I love them.I do have a battery operated weed whacker & a few power tools :ROFLMAO: ..Keep fishing though you might catch a whopper..🐬🐬

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 229
  • tempImagejhqOp6.jpg
    tempImagejhqOp6.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 492

Attachments

• Ford Truck 349.jpg
    Ford Truck 349.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 246

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 176

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Ford Truck 134.jpg
    Ford Truck 134.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 418
  • Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Ford Truck 122.jpg
    Ford Truck 122.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 305

Last edited:
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines?
Last edited:
   / Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #38  
Not even close YODA.I don't like bull chitters..Want some more picks. of gassers..God dang I love them.I do have a battery operated weed whacker & a few power tools :ROFLMAO: ..Keep fishing though you might catch a whopper..🐬🐬

Attachments

• IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1285.jpg
    IMG_1285.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 229
  • tempImagejhqOp6.jpg
    tempImagejhqOp6.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 492

Attachments

• Ford Truck 349.jpg
    Ford Truck 349.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 246

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 176

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Ford Truck 134.jpg
    Ford Truck 134.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 418
  • Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Ford Truck 122.jpg
    Ford Truck 122.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 305

I didn't think you would then prove me right.

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #39  
I didn't think you would then prove me right.
Your fishing in the wrong pond my friend 🐬 .You asked for it I showed ya.But hey whatever turns your crank..:ROFLMAO:

/ Stellantis replacing hemi with 3.0L I-6 engines? #40  
Your fishing in the wrong pond my friend 🐬 .You asked for it I showed ya.But hey whatever turns your crank..:ROFLMAO:

Such a 5030 thing to say...

Status
Not open for further replies.