Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow?

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #1  

SteinerGuy

Tractor
Lamborghini Runner 450, Steiner S-20
If you could pick one machine to blow snow, what would it be? Driveway / homestead environment in Quebec, 120" annual snowfall average, but we've gotten double that some years.

I have a 35hp compact that I use for plowing snow. Loader/box blade. Works great for most snowfalls but the piles get pretty massive so I was thinking about putting a 6 ft blower on the back of it. It's also kind of big around the house. It does have a cab and good lights though.

My Steiner 420 doesn't get used in the winter, but the small size and maneuverability appeal to me. I feel like it would do a better job of clearing snow around the house and garage (less shovelling) and I could leave the blade/loader on the tractor, use that when the snow isn't deep. I guess I'd need chains, but they are cheap in the ATV/lawn tractor sizes. The hydrostatic would be great too (the big tractor is all gear).

Any comments?

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #2  
I have a steiner 430 Diesel and blower that I just use for around buildings. Also, a V blade. If push came to shove, I could use it on my 1000 foot driveway but it would take a while. .

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #3  
What kind of snow do you get, fluffy or wet and heavy?

Some blowers can struggle with the wet and heavy stuff. No personal experience with the Steiner blower so can't say one way or the other.

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #4  
Blower on the tractor gets my vote, I get massive banks here also and it takes a lot of time to push them back, last year I bought a 52 inch Blizzard blower, no piles and it takes me a fraction of the time every storm.

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #5  
I have a Steiner 420. No blower for it though as the snow here is weak at less than 40" a year. I have a 50" Brush on my Steiner that is great. It will take the snow off the driveway down to bare pavement. In the morning I easily have the clearest driveway in the neighborhood. By 10am it's dry even with a little sun action on it. I highly recommend the brush for blacktop.

As for the blower, they will blow snow into the neighbors yard. I keep looking for a $1000 unit but they always sell in the $1500 - $2500 range depending on age and condition. We just don't get enough snow here to justify a blower. I had a 73" Allied for my Ford 1900 but I sold it due to inactivity. I just never used it.

Steve

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #6  
I have owned several Steiners and a Ventrac. I am not the final word or expert on either but have owned them for almost 20 years. A 1999 410(16hp), a 2002 415(23hp), a 2000 ventrac diesel(24ish hp), and a 2011 430(30hp).

When plowing over 6 of wet snow the machine struggles. Not that it can稚 do it, but the front ends slide and work time can be doubled.

When talking snowblowers there are many things to take into consideration.... every one of the machines above handled my snowblower differently. I致e kept the same attachments every time I bought a different machine.

All in all, the snowblower is an awesome attachment. But, there are many variations. Some made in the 70痴 were single stage and there are obviously 2 stage blowers too, but not all 2 stages are the same. Over the years they致e changed the speeds of the auger and blower. Mine is probably from the early 90痴. It throws snow very well but not very far. Wet snow can vary from 3-10ft. and dry snow up to 25ft(maybe). The newer ones have much faster auger and blower speeds and will blow snow MUCH further. If buying used or new do your research.

The same blower acted differently on every machine I owned. And believe it or not, it ran best on my 23hp 415!! Not sure if it had a pulley that was better suited for blowing snow or what??

Nonetheless I have a 1200ft driveway that has had well over 25 of snow and the Steiner blower easily cleared it in one pass. I don稚 know what I壇 do without mine.

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #7  
Sorry, forgot to add.....if you do get a snowbloer, any model, you’ll probably be looking for a cab soon thereafter. At first, I had a shade canopy with a golf cart softcab over top of it. Bought the softcab from northern tool. A few years later, bought a used steiner cab at a great price. Either way a ROPS is will be necessary if you buy a steiner cab or Steiner shade canopy unless you make your own.

I would not blow snow without one again!

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #8  
I've have a long driveway and good sized parking area. I live in the land of lake effect snow and have had 7 feet drop in days. So far my Ventrac with the 60" angle blade has rarely been unable to move what I get. I have no snow chains. Sometimes when it is super heavy I have to use the blower. I have an older (maybe early 2000) blower which is single stage and 52" I believe. It will throw snow 40'+ feet in the right conditions. Even in the heaviest snow it has thrown far enough not to have any issues. Occasionally it will plug if you crowd it but, otherwise both attachments work wonderfully. I don't anticipate ever changing to something else.

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #9  
My driveway is over 1/4 mile long, thankfully almost flat, but steep ditches and I can't plow after a foot or two of snow because I don't have the space on the side of the drive. I used a 1 ton with a plow and got it stuck too many times. I used my Ford N tractor backblade, but ran out of space to push the snow. I (being fortunate and able to afford it) purchased a nice used Toro Groundsmaster 325D with a snowthrower attachment ($3.5K) - well cared for, pretty low hours and of course no shortage of parts and support. It's got a heated cab!! It came with a finish mower but I will probably only ever use it to clear snow. It does a great job and I haven't been stuck yet, even in some hairy situations.

View attachment 572660

EDIT: oh, and I can drive *forward* to throw snow.

EDIT2: and I use these "rubber tire chains" because I have an asphalt drive: Rubber Tire (Snow) Chains - Traction without damage.

/ Steiner or compact tractor for blowing snow? #10  
My choices on equipment are always based on what other stuff I have. If I lived in the suburbs, a Steiner would do for my only machine. Out in the boonies, it's nice to have some size and muscle. Even if just to rescue the smaller equipment on occasion.

To answer the question specifically. I had a compact JD with front blower, and I have the Steiner with front blower. Both blew snow about the same. The JD 770 (Yanmar) was not a hydro and THAT was it's main failing. And probably why I ultimately got rid of it this otherwise great tractor. The blower is very heavy on the front of the Steiner 430. Maybe a little too heavy. Blowing with the JD was a little more enjoyable. Better ride, bigger wheels. The Steiner is a dream to get on and off of.

DSC03442.JPG

Not with the blower, but I just had to see what she'd do.

DSC00019B.jpg

JD 770, Not what I would normally use for my 1000' lane, but it was a trade off between a Big Rear mount blower and the much nicer front mount albeit smaller one.