Steering wheel knob placement

/ Steering wheel knob placement #71  
I just can't use one. I'm so used to operating without it it feels wrong. It just gets in my way if it's there.
With hydrostatic steering and hydrostatic transmissions there is really nothing that demands having a steering wheel at all. It is only tradition and probably a few dollars in added cost that keeps it there. I would be perfectly fine with a new tractor with full joystick controls.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #73  
My Ford stays in the same orientation. It has a power assist steering box like the old cars. I have my spinner mounted in the three-O-Clock position and can move the knob up and down with my right arm for minor steering corrections. Or I can wind it vigorously when turning. I like mine. I usually hold onto a stainless steel handle I put on the left fender. I hold that handle with my left hand in rough ground. Helps keep me square in the seat.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #74  
Most newer tractors have hydrostatic power steering and the steering wheel will not remain in the same position. Your profile does not show what tractor you have so it's unknown if you have such a tractor. You can still put a knob on, just be aware that it will not remain at the same position.
I put one at 3 o’clock and other @ 9 o’clock. Keeps left hand steering in a comfortable position as right operates attached implemen.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #75  
I don't honestly see the purpose of using one of these. With the power steering I can turn the wheel with just the heel of my hand and I never need to hold it tightly. So I'm turning my wheel as if I have a knob, but don't.

Another reason is that like others have said, with the hydraulic steering it will usually always be anywhere but where you want it to be.

These things were invented before power steering and gave you extra leverage to turn the wheel. They were called suicide knobs because they could catch in clothing or break causing you to loose control of the vehicle in a turn.

Last edited:
   / Steering wheel knob placement #76  
Would be interesting to know what percent of tractor owners on this forum have a spinner mounted to the steering wheel ?

For about 30 years I drove a tractor-snowmobile trail groomer, there was one other driver that would always install a spinner when he drove and I hated it so always removed it but it was one of those spinners with the metal frame work.

So after reading here about the plastic frame spinners bought one at tractor supply yesterday, if still don’t like it I will hopefully be able to return it and get the $16.99 back.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #77  
I don't honestly see the purpose of using one of these. With the power steering I can turn the wheel with just the heel of my hand and I never need to hold it tightly. So I'm turning my wheel as if I have a knob, but don't.

Another reason is that like others have said, with the hydraulic steering it will usually always be anywhere but where you want it to be.

These things were invented before power steering and gave you extra leverage to turn the wheel. They were called suicide knobs because they could catch in clothing or break causing you to loose control of the vehicle in a turn.
I find it more convenient to grab the knob than steer with the heel, personally.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #78  

If you are using one in cold temperatures a gloved or mitten covered hand will grip the spinner more securely than the palm of a glove or mitten on an open station tractor.
I operated a forklift (Hyster 225) at a lumber mill for about 5 years and palmed the steering wheel a lot. I had a ground in black stain on my left palm that took a week to fully go away after the mill shut down. It was 35+ years ago.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #79  
I never thought about winter and gloves, but I'm not doing a lot of steering in the winter, mostly straight lines moving snow.

:p In another life I spent a lot of time of forklifts as well.

/ Steering wheel knob placement #80  
Everybody gets a choice!
My wife didn't like the spinner on the lawn mower...so I took it off the Craftsman.
I would mow fields with the tractor / bushhog, while she was mowing the lawn. Worked good for about a month.

Then she put in her two week notice...

Guess I need to put the spinner back on (or else go get a new Zero Turn!!!)