Steering Ball Joint Salvage

/ Steering Ball Joint Salvage #1  

docrocky

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 880, Ford 8N, Ford 9N, Farmall Super C, MF 205, Ford 4400 FEL, Ford 4500 FEL/BH, Cat D-6 Dozer(1957)
I am beginning to feel like a franchise THREADER constantly in need of help:

I have been working for at least 3 years on an old Sears Suburban 10 tractor. It is a perfect fit for my row weed cultivating for new weeds/control. Look at my list of threads to include engine, ignition coil, carburetor, to recall but a few of the problems I have sought advice on.. The engine was so tight that I could not pull start it so I hooked up a starter/generator and it works well. As I was about to test the cultivator on the rear with additional sweeps, suddenly no steering control. The ball joint connector to the steering wheel to front axle came apart and will not stay put with any movement in spite of hammering it back into position. Some pictures included at bottom as attachments.

How can I easily salvage this ball joint. Replacement parts for this vintage machine are non existent. How can I deepen the cup into which the ball fits or give it more of a lip to retain it but allow it to rotate.

One friend suggests epoxy, another mig weld a small brim.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated...the heavy rain fall here in SE Michigan has sent the weeds into mayhem and I fear getting behind...as I usually do.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 124
   / Steering Ball Joint Salvage #2  
Pretty common situation. What I have done is put a ceramic dowel in there that fits snug and then build up a nice berm with a stick welder all the way around. Put the ball back in with some grease and hammer the berm down around it.

/ Steering Ball Joint Salvage #3  
You can buy new ball joints. You just have to cut the old one off and weld or make threads to put the new one on.

/ Steering Ball Joint Salvage #4  
Since parts aren't available, I would completely remove ball and coupling and weld on new ball joint. Just about any steering knuckle component from any source should work and just slip into the hole from the existing ball. You may want to look at the other end of the steering rod as it should also have a ball joint on it and is likely just as worn. A new tie rod from an automotive supply might be just the ticket although the total length may have to be cut and rewelded which isn't a big deal if you have a welding machine.

/ Steering Ball Joint Salvage #5  
Do a google search for "Rod end" you will see lots of options that will work.

/ Steering Ball Joint Salvage #6  
I salvaged an end like that by placing the ball in the socket and used a blunt end punch to close the opening into the ball. I ordered a new joint and still have it because this one hasn't failed again.