Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts...

/ Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts... #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have the need for a trailer/wagon for my new B7800.

My goal is to permit me to load it with manure, soil, etc then dump elsewhere. The hydraulics and dumping are too not much of a challenge, but making a free standing, steerable trailer has me wondering about the design possibilities.

If any of you have made or considered anything similar, I'd appreciate you thoughts.

Here's where I'm at:

NEEDS:
Free standing wagon with quick hitch/unhitch so I can load up a fair amount of material (compost/manure/bales/etc.) and transport. Capacity should be 2000-4000 lbs capacity max. Dumping is good as stated above. Ground clearance isn't too much of an issue (12-14"). I do have a slope so I imagine a parking brake would be handy though chocks are also a necessity. Trailer is for off road, slow speed use only.

I would like it to be about 4'x8' or 4'X10' with removable sideboards.

THOUGHTS that seem to make sense, though nothing is for sure:

Lunette ring and pintle hitch for quick hitching.

STEERING?

I forsee building a typical trailer affair with hydraulic dump but have not settled on a steering design.

I've considered a caster steer but am undecided how to implement in a manner that will handle the load and dynamics.

I also have though about a pivoting from axle (like semi wagons) using a wheel hub assemble for the pivot. I think it could handle the load... and that's as far as I've considered.

Do y'all have any ideas or experience in this area?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Rgds,
Bryan

/ Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts... #2  
There are at least 3 manufacturers that already make what you are thinking about. Maybe you can refer to them for ideas or just go with one of their products.

Refer to http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=implement&Number=255635&Forum=All_Forums&Words=&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=5000&Old=1week&Main=255635&Search=true#Post255635 for a recent discussion on Kory Wagon Gear. In some of the responses to that post there are references to other 2000 and 4000 pound Wagon Gears now being sold by Northern. In addition see Wagons and Trailers by Country Manufacturing. www.countrymfg.com
They make both 2000 and 4000 pound versions. The 4000 pound version already has the brackets in place to install a hydraulic dump cylinder.

Sorry, but I don't know how to make a clickable link to a previous post. If a moderator can jump in and fix this for me I'd appreciate it.

JackIL

/ Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts...
Caster steering on a wagon has many problems you won't want to deal with, not the least of witch is inability to turn tightly. A 5th wheel setup will give you a lot faster cornering, and less corner dive IF your 5th has sufficient surface area.
The question I have, why a wagon design rather than a tandem axel dump trailer?
I built a tandem that runs both on and off road, that I can drop, load, and rehook off road without leaving the seat. On soft ground, or where I don't want to scuff ground in a tight turn, I can lift the 3 point hitch and lift the front tandem completely off the ground. Trailers are a lot easier to back up than wagons are too.

/ Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts... #4  
I built one a few years ago for the local feedmill owner. it had to be back able and had to be the wagon type design. i coppied and old wagon with the tie rods and had some from a van i cut up. as for backing the tractor used on it had dual remotes. we ran one to the dump and one to a short hydraulic cylinder that we made a bracket for. then on te tonge we made a brake disk out of plate with notches machined in it. When it came time to back the wagon wed pull the tractor up and the machined pockets aligned and wed actuate the cylinder into the pocket that held the wheels and tongue straight for backing. The reason we needed the wagon design was the low tongue weight on the tractor for the loads it carried. Best wished taylor lambert

/ Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts... #5  
Jack,

Here is the link to the post you mentioned. To make a clickable link like this one you simply use the same brackets you already used like this;

{url=WEB ADDRESS}link{/url}

I had to use { & } instead of the proper brackets, [ & ], to avoid creating another link. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts...
Re: Steerable wagon/trailer? Your design thoughts.

Thanks for the comments. I'll need to make a few calls to see whether purchasing makes more sense than making one.